Melissa’s Menu: Fried mac and cheese strips

This week on Melissa's Menu is fried mac and cheese strips. They're crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and guaranteed to leave you wanting more. (Screenshot courtesy of Tasty)

Are you looking for the perfect indulgent and savory snack? Well, look no further, this week’s recipe is a creative twist on a classic comfort food that will satisfy all of your cravings: fried mac and cheese strips. They’re crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and guaranteed to leave you wanting more. Spring break is right around the corner, so this is the perfect snack to treat yourself to while you’re relaxing!

Ingredients:

• 8 oz elbow pasta
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups bread crumbs

Directions:

Bring three quarts of water to a boil and cook elbow pasta. Stir occasionally for about seven minutes, or until al dente. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter completely and whisk in flour for two minutes to create a light roux. Add milk to the roux and season it with salt and pepper. Stir continuously until the sauce fully thickens. Gradually add cheese to your sauce and stir until fully combined. Add cooked pasta to your cheese sauce and stir until each noodle is fully coated. Remove the mac and cheese off the heat and pour onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread evenly and freeze for two hours in the freezer. Cut the frozen mac and cheese into sticks. Batter the sticks in flour, egg and bread crumbs. Preheat a pot of oil to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry for two to three minutes or until golden brown, then drain on a paper towel.

This recipe makes about 30 strips, so it’s a perfect snack to share. I have always been a bit skeptical about fried mac and cheese, but once I tried it I fell in love. If you like mozzarella sticks and mac and cheese, you will definitely like these. Frying them does not take away from the softness and creaminess of the mac and cheese at all; it just adds an extra element of crispiness. Everything tastes better fried, right?

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.