Snapchat’s updates have lost users

Snapchat came out with changes back in November, which forced the app to lose efficiency. (Global Panorama/Flickr Creative Commons)

Snapchat is one of the many popular social media apps among teens and adults. The famous app was created as a way to interact with friends, sharing momentous snaps that only last for a limited amount of time. The app is interactive, allowing you to add color, text and message your friends. However, has Snapchat lost its accumulation of followers?

Recently, there have been debates as to how difficult the app has become to use. Snapchat came out with changes back in November, which forced the app to lose efficiency. One of the changes that have resulted in trouble is combining stories and incoming snaps in one page, leading to a disorganized display. Not only has the display become much harder to navigate, but sending a story has become less efficient as it is harder to locate your contacts on the app.

In response to the difficulty using the app, Snapchat users decided to make a change.org petition detailing their difficulties and expressing their thoughts about the app. The petition asked Snapchat to revert their app to its original version. This way, people will be more inclined to use the app, rather than deleting it from their devices. The change.org petition claims that “many ‘new features’ are useless or defeats the original purposes Snapchat has had for the past years.” 

Snapchat replied to the comment, noting that, “by putting everything from your friends in one place, our goal was to make it easier to connect with the people you care about most.”  As far as the changes go, Snapchat did not comment on reverting the app to its original condition, making users more inclined to sign the petition.

Based on these comments, will Snapchat continue to gain an accumulation of followers? Currently, it looks like the app is losing followers, only because of this update that created tension and hassle among users.

For Snapchat to retain its follower count and gain more followers, it must change back to the original version. Personally, I liked the organization and layout of the app before the major change, as it was easier to communicate with friends and create stories. The new version simply makes it harder to communicate with friends.

Snapchat attracts a wide array of teens and young adults, but when an app loses its ease of accessibility, it leads to people not using the app on a frequent basis. Since Snapchat is an app that is especially popular among youngsters, we appreciate the app because we can keep in touch with our friends. If the app is disorganized, what is the point of using it as a communication platform?

Additionally, the app allows us to be updated with daily events going on in our community, but due to the app’s update, it makes it harder to focus on what the app is supposed to be – fun and engaging. It is observed that a small distracting change can cause followers to join a new platform.

Snapchat is a unique app that allows followers to use it in any form they choose, but its update is leading us to focus more on the distractions rather than the benefits. In order for the app to regain its follower count, it is necessary that it reverts to its original design.

Right now, there does not appear to be any change, but in the long run, Snapchat should consider changes to avoid further negative reviews. If the app is reverted to its original design, this will ensure that users will be satisfied when using the app, leading to increased communication and greater positive satisfaction as a result.

Anusha Kumar is a contributor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anusha.kumar@uconn.edu.