UConn cancels classes for Wednesday, March 7

UConn has canceled classes on Wednesday, March 7 due to an expected snow storm. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

In anticipation of inclement weather, the University of Connecticut sent out an alert at around 4:15 p.m. today announcing that it will cancel classes at all campuses on Wednesday, March 7.

“Essential employees should report to work as scheduled,” the alert said. “All other employees should not report.”

Updates can be found at alert.uconn.edu, according to the alert.

“The weather forecasts suggest heavy and consistent snow tomorrow, particularly starting in midday,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. “Under those circumstances, the university believes the best course of action is to cancel classes Wednesday and give our facilities crews enough time to do their work to clear the roads and walkways.”

Reitz said the cancellation will also give the facilities crews more room to operate, since few employees would be out on the roads and the plows won’t encounter many cars.

A decision has not been yet made about Thursday’s schedule, Reitz said.

Storrs is expecting snow to begin falling at around 10 a.m. tomorrow, according to The Weather Channel. Their forecasts currently show consistent snowfall from then until 8 a.m. Thursday.

A winter storm warning is in effect for Storrs from March 7 at 7 a.m. until March 8 at 7 a.m., according to the National Weather Service

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.