UConn students share their Birthright experiences

UConn Hillel sends students to Isreal as part of the UConn Birthright program. (Images courtesy of UConn Hillel)

UConn Hillel regularly sends students on Birthright trips to Israel. Birthright trips are organized for students of Jewish heritage to learn firsthand about their family origins, history and culture. Registration for the next Birthright trip, taking place over the summer, closes March 21.

Interested students are encouraged to reach out to Rotem Dimri at rotem@uconnhillel.org or visit birthrightisrael.com and search “University of Connecticut.”

Here are some stories from students who visited Israel as part of UConn’s Birthright program.

1. Say hello to Nathan Schachter. Nathan is a junior communications major and is currently studying abroad in Israel at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

"Although I had been to Israel before, going on Birthright with UConn Hillel gave me the unique opportunity to re-experience Israel with a new outlook and to create deeper relationships with all of my friends from school. My favorite parts of the trip were getting to bond with the soldiers who joined our group, going out in Tel Aviv and sleeping in the Bedouin tents in the desert. My friends from Birthright are my closest friends in Storrs and I got to travel across the world with them; how many people can say that?!"

2. David Dulberg, a senior finance student with an anthropology minor.

"A free trip to Israel for New Years Eve? Sign me up! Little did I know that this experience would change the way I look at the world and look at myself. Through all the long days of traveling, endless bus rides, amazing views, bustling cities, deep history and countless amounts of hummus was something special: An opportunity to connect with my roots and share that connection with 50 of your newest friends. Getting to understand that shared experience and create that connection to Israel will be a lasting memory. Plus, how often do you get a chance to ride a camel in the desert and swim in the Dead Sea?"

His favorite place was the city that never sleeps - Tel Aviv.

(Via UConn Hillel)

3. Michael went on Birthright this winter and says "Birthright was such an incredible experience! I got to explore the beautiful country of Israel and made some great friendships in the process. Whether it was taking in the beautiful sights in Haifa, floating in the Dead Sea or exploring the cities of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, this trip was unlike anything I've ever experience before."

4. UConn Hillel’s Engagement Associate, Nicki Poliak, will be leading our summer trip along with UConn Hillel’s Israel Fellow, Rotem Dimri.

Nicki went on birthright in 2015 and says "It was the absolute best experience. I got to experience the amazing culture of Israel with people who became some of my best friends! My favorite place is Tzafat because it is unlike any other place I've ever been. It's so beautiful and I loved all the artwork!