Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies head to New York to face UAlbany

The Women's Lacrosse team lost to UMass 11-12 Saturday. The Huskies look to bounce back at the next home game on March 3 at the Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will travel to New York this afternoon to face off against the University at Albany’s Great Danes.

The Huskies enter this game coming off a heartbreaking loss to UMass on Saturday, a game lost on a UMass shot with seven seconds left.

Despite ultimately taking the loss, the Huskies can draw several positives from Saturday’s game. Managing to hang on until the very end against No. 24 ranked UMass says something about the team’s competitive fire.

Another positive is the team’s ability to produce shots. Even though they ended up scoring one less goal than UMass, they attempted six more shots, so they at least gave themselves a shooter’s chance in the game.

UConn must give some credit to its defense as well. Goalie Grace Beshlian recorded eight saves in the game.

The Huskies must like their chances coming into this game against a UAlbany team that is currently 0-4 on the season.

UAlbany last played on Wednesday, Feb. 28 against Dartmouth, losing the game 12-8. They were supposed to play again on Saturday, March 3 against Bucknell, but the game was postponed.

UConn currently owns a 3-3 record this season and will need to rack up some more wins to improve on last year’s 8-8 record.

The game today will be hosted at the Adirondack Sports Complex in Queensbury, New York, at 12:30 p.m. The game’s start time was originally scheduled for 2 p.m. but was changed due to the weather.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.