Baseball: Huskies on the road again for weekend series at The Citadel

(File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Wednesday was supposed to be the UConn baseball team’s long-awaited home opener against Yale. Unfortunately, snow and baseball don’t go together too well.

The game was postponed, and the Huskies (5-4) now hit the road once again to play seven more road games (on top of the nine already down) before they’ll finally play in front of their home crowd.

First up, the Huskies head to Charleston for a four-game series against The Citadel (5-7), beginning on Friday. After dropping two of three to North Florida last weekend, UConn has fallen out of the national rankings, but a strong showing this weekend would certainly get them back in the conversation.

The Citadel comes in on a two-game slide, losing to Georgia and Winthrop earlier in the week. Leadoff man William Kinney is currently batting an impressive .400 on the season in 50 at-bats, also leading the team in RBI with nine.

Right-hander Alex Bialakis has been the Bulldogs’ most effective starter in the early goings, boasting a 2-0 record to go along with a 1.32 ERA. The Huskies will likely face him on Sunday, first taking on Dylan Spence (0-1, 4.34 ERA) and Jordan Merritt (1-0, 4.38 ERA) on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

As for the UConn pitching staff, they’ll hope to throw some more strikes than it did last time out on Sunday. The Huskies surrendered only four hits, but also walked eight batters, including three in a disastrous sixth inning. Junior Tim Cate will try to right the ship with his start on Friday.

UConn senior Troy Stefanski (.382/.389/.588) and sophomore Anthony Prato (.359/.419/.487) have been tough outs as of late. Prato has also been dangerous on the basepaths, leading the team with six stolen bases.

On Tuesday, Zac Susi, the Huskies’ catcher, was named to the Johnny Bench Award Watch List, an award given to the best Division 1 catcher in the country. Susi has driven in a team-high seven runs and has been solid behind the plate, as well.  

The series begins on Friday at 6 p.m., with subsequent afternoon games on the next three days, wrapping up on Monday at 3 p.m. Maybe one day the Huskies will actually play a home game; until then, it’s time to hit the road yet again.

Andrew Morrison is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at He tweets at @asmor24