Spring break travel tips

Regardless of where you are going for break, planning your trip ahead of time will ensure you make the most out of your spring break. (Courtesy/Wikimedia Commons)

Spring break starts tomorrow, and whether you are getting to your destination in a car or on an airplane, traveling is always a daunting task. For those who have never traveled alone before or who just want a refresher on the do’s and don’ts, here is our list of essential spring break travel tips.

Budget before you get there

Perhaps the most important part of any vacation is to set your budget before you board the plane. First, figure out how much money you want to spend in total, then subtract the amount of money that you spent on boarding and travel. Divide the money left over into categories like food, drinks and activities. If you are particularly good at planning, it may also be useful to list the prices of the specific food and drinks that you plan to buy on your trip. While budgeting is never a fun activity, it can be really helpful to know how much money you will be spending before your monthly bank statement comes in.

Bring cash

There aren’t a lot of college kids I know who carry cash with them, but taking out some money from the bank before you go on a trip can be incredibly helpful. Although it isn’t too common these days, there are still some places which accept cash only. The cover fee for bars or clubs is almost always cash, and you don’t want to be stuck using an ATM with an absurd surcharge. Carrying cash isn’t just a smart way to avoid a surcharge, but it can also be really helpful if you lose your card or it stops working.

Only pack what you need

This may seem pretty self-explanatory, but one of the best ways to save money and time when you are traveling is to only pack the essentials. Pick out clothes you can wear more than once, which will save you a lot of space in the long run. Consider calling wherever you are staying to ask what amenities they offer for guests. If guests have access to things like pool towels or beach chairs, that is one less thing that you will need to pack. Packing light will also save you money on checked bags if you are flying or give you more space in the car if you are road tripping to your destination.

Research the area

If you are going somewhere you have never been before, it is a good idea to do some research on the area before you arrive. Try and look for grocery stores, pharmacies and walk-in clinics that aren’t too far from where you are staying so you will know where they are before you need to go there. Doing some research on the area will also help you figure out where you should go and where you should avoid.

Research activities before you get there

There is nothing worse than discovering the perfect spring break activity, just to find out it is completely booked. Planning your activities ahead of time will help you make the most of your vacation as you won’t have to waste time researching and scheduling. A quick internet search can show you exactly what will be going on at your spring break destination, making it easy to plan and reserve activities that will fit into your schedule. Booking ahead of time can also help you find the best deal, saving you a lot of money in the long run.  

It’s never too late to plan ahead for your spring break, so our travel tips can really help make your journey a bit easier. Regardless of where you are going for break, planning your trip ahead of time will ensure you make the most out of your spring break.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.