UConn Gaming Club to host Husky Games March 31

The UConn Gaming Club meets every Friday at 6 p.m. in Room 106 of the Business building. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

On March 31, UConn Gaming Club will host the 2018 Husky Games, a video game tournament in which participants can win prizes from several distinctive game-related sponsors.

The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom. Admission is free and the event is open to the public, club president Daniel Lee said.

Tournament registration closes on Friday, March 16, at 11:59 p.m. All event information, as well as the registration link, can be found on the Husky Games 2018 Facebook event page.

The club encourages all potential attendees to RSVP via the Facebook event where most announcements regarding the event will be made, Lee said. It is also recommended that interested parties join the club’s Facebook, Twitter, and Discord for social media giveaways, a selective raffle and activities that will take place during the event.

The event will include tournaments as well as casual gaming. Tournament games include Counterstrike: Global Offensive, Dota 2, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Hearthstone, League of Legends, Rocket League, Overwatch, Pokemon Showdown, Super Smash Bros and Team Fortress 2, Lee said.

Other parts of the event will include an artist alley in which artists will be able to sell their original content, a virtual reality activity, board game stations, console smash stations and a soylent bottle decorating contest. Participants will also be given the opportunity to bring their own consoles and play games of their own choosing, Lee said.

“We want to highly emphasize that the competition is only one part of it,” Lee said.

Prizes will also be provided to winners of tournaments and contests by several gaming-related sponsors including Tespa, iBUYPOWER, Discord, Twitch and others. The sponsors will have booths at the events as well, Lee said.

“We’re making sure everyone that comes gets at least one thing out of it because of the amount of support we’re getting from outside third party organizations” Lee said, who compared the event to a small scale version of PAX, a well-known video game conference.

The UConn Gaming Club meets every Friday at 6 p.m. in Room 106 of the Business building. The club is split into divisions by game and these have individual meetings as well, Lee said.

The club brands itself as “your home for gaming on campus,” Lee said.

“We see gaming as a medium for people to interact and create relationships, instead of doing it just for fun,” Lee said. “Of course, that’s a big part of it, too.”

Other events the organization expects to host this semester are a 24-hour charity gaming stream and a high school student tournament which will provide scholarship money to winners that plan to attend UConn in partnership with Undergraduate Admissions and NEAG, Lee said.

Miranda Garcia is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at miranda.r.garcia@uconn.edu.