Grab a box of tissues, here’s the low-down on the celebrity breakups of 2018

Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum announced their split earlier this month—one of 20 celebrity couples to break up since the beginning of the year. (Photo courtesy of  Channing Tatum's Twitter )

Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum announced their split earlier this month—one of 20 celebrity couples to break up since the beginning of the year. (Photo courtesy of Channing Tatum's Twitter)

Heartbreak is in the air in Hollywood: since the beginning of the year, more than 20 celebrity couples have broken up. Since the news of Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum’s split earlier this month there has been a shockwave throughout social media. The couple, who met on the set-up of “Step Up,” had been married for eight years and have one child together. They announced their split through a statement on Instagram, explaining “we have lovingly chosen to separate as a couple. We fell deeply in love so many years ago and have had a magical journey together. Absolutely nothing has changed about how much we love one another.”

The Tatums are only the latest in a long stream of celebrity breakups. The list includes Justin Theroux and Jennifer Aniston, Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik, Kendra Wilkinson and Hank Baskett, Brooke Burke and David Charvet, Chrissy Metz and Josh Stancil, Olivia Culpo and Danny Amendola, Chris Evans and Jenny Slate, Logic and Jessica Andrea, Anderson Cooper and Benjamin Maisani and more. Many of these couples have been together for years.

It can be easy for people to look up to a celebrity couple. Their love is so openly displayed, which makes it easy to become emotionally invested. When you hear of the breakup of a duo like the Tatums, it’s easy to wonder what went wrong and in extreme cases wonder if love is even real.

All of this may also lead you to question: Why are there all of these breakups so suddenly? There are two possible answers.

One has to do with the pressures of being in a relationship so heavily publicized. Celebrities are constantly under the spotlight and receiving criticism, and this can affect their relationships. They have all the same problems as a normal couple, but are analyzed so much more deeply. At the same time, there can be a lot of pressure on couples that are adored by the public.

Egos also can come into play. Psychologist Donna Rockwell explained to Cosmopolitan, “What happens after a while with fame is that the famous person is so used to everyone looking at them, everybody coming to them, everyone giving to them, they forget how to turn around and give it back.”

“Famous people can become addicted to adulation from the public because it feels fantastic to have all these people loving you. The brain gets so stimulated in the reward center and the brain gets used to that and wants that. When the celebrity returns home and just has a normal loving wife or husband there, it pales in comparison,” Rockwell continued.

The other cause of splits has to do with the time of year. Cuffing season is officially over, and you may be noticing that even couples you know personally are calling it quits. The social pressure of finding someone to couple-up with is over, and there’s more of a focus on having and being wild and free. There is usually a peak in breakups in early spring due to this and other factors such as weather change and restlessness.

All of these breakups may leave you feeling sad and hopeless, and it is a lot to deal with all at once, but just remember: celebrities are human just like us, and sometimes they just can’t make a relationship work. There also are still celebrities that are proving that love can last, such as Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively or Chrissy Teigen and John Legend.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.