Melissa’s Menu: Strawberry cobb salad

This week on Melissa's Menu is a perfect springtime salad. Learn how to make this strawberry cobb salad in a few quick steps. (Photo courtesy of Delish.com)

If you’re looking for the perfect springtime salad, look no further. This week’s strawberry cobb salad is light, fresh and super yummy. It’s also very healthy and easy to make! The weather may not be very warm yet, but this salad will definitely remind you of sunshine and summer.

Ingredients:

For dressing:

• 1 c store-bought ranch dressing
  • 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley
  • 3 tbsp thinly sliced chives
  • 8 large basil leaves

For salad:

• 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 romaine hearts, shredded
  • 12 strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
  • 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/8 red onion thinly sliced
  • 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
  • 2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
  • 1 hard-boiled egg, quartered

Directions:

For the dressing, place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper and place them in the skillet. Sear chicken for about three to four minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven and continue to cook for eight minutes. Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a cutting board. Cool for seven to ten minutes before slicing. To assemble the salad, pour half the dressing into a large mixing bowl and toss together with shredded romaine. Transfer coated romaine to a serving bowl and top with sliced chicken breasts, strawberries, avocado, onion, goat cheese, prosciutto and egg. Season entire salad with salt and pepper. Serve salad alongside remaining dressing.

I love this salad, because it’s a reminder that salad can be more than just lettuce; it can be an entire meal. Sometimes a salad can leave you craving more, but between the meat, cheese, avocado and egg in this recipe, you’ll definitely be satisfied. The addition of strawberry gives the salad a little bit of sweetness and really brings it up a level.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.