Thirsty Thursday: Old Fashioned

4/11/2018 Drink of the Week. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

For this week’s Thirsty Thursday, we decided to try our hand at an Old Fashioned. Our camera guy has been trying to get us to do this drink since the beginning of the school year, so this week’s Thirsty Thursday is long overdue. The drink is fairly simple, so it is perfect for any college student looking to class up their next pregame. The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail supposedly invented in Louisville, Kentucky back in the late 1800s. Since then, it has remained a main stay in just about every bartender’s arsenal of drinks.

Ingredients:

Three ounces of bourbon

Three dashes of bitters

One teaspoon of sugar

Two orange wedges

One orange twist

Pour the sugar, one of the orange wedges and the bitters in a glass. Muddle until all of the juices have been expelled from the orange. Remove the peel and add the bourbon over ice. Stir to combine the flavors. Put the remaining wedge in the glass and garnish with the orange twist.

If you are a fan of strong bourbon drinks, the Old Fashioned is certainly the drink for you. The bourbon comes through as the dominate flavor, but there are definitely some citrusy notes from the orange. There is not a lot to this drink, so the orange wedges really elevate what is essentially bourbon on the rocks to a nice citrusy drink. The only downside to this drink is that bitters can be a bit expensive for those on a budget. Fortunately, bitters can be used for a wide variety of cocktails, making the purchase more than worth it.

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.