Bazzi’s debut album 'Cosmic' is out of this world

R&B singer Bazzi released his first studio album “Cosmic” on April 12. The highly anticipated album, which includes his Billboard Hot 100 single “Mine,” features a mix of slower ballads and faster-paced upbeat songs. Most of the album’s songs focus on Bazzi’s experience with girls, finding himself and rising to fame. A lot of the songs have a similar sound and theme, but it works.

The 16-track album features Bazzi’s previously released singles including “Mine,” “Beautiful,” “Why” and the most recently released “Honest.” The album is the result of over two years of production, and it shows that a lot of time and effort has gone into it. For a debut album, it’s pretty seamless. It’s clear that Bazzi knows himself and what kind of sound he wants to produce.

Bazzi told Complex Magazine that the album can feel like a “home” for people.

“It's truthful, every single song is an extension of me and a truthful piece of inspiration from my past or something I'm currently going through,” he said. “Today changes everything.”

Many songs give listeners a peek into the artist’s heart and mind. Sometimes he gets really personal, such as in “Mirror” when he sings, “I don't know what I'm looking for/I don't know what to say anymore/Wouldn't call it sad, I wouldn't call it mad/Something is just not right/I don't wanna feel like this anymore.”

Bazzi also touches on topics of unrequited love, sex, drugs and relationship issues.

The album features a mix of smooth R&B and pop tones that flow really nicely and are easy to listen to. Each song has its own soulful feel and is filled with Bazzi’s charm and passion.

Andrew Bazzi, professionally known as just Bazzi, is originally from Dearborn, Michigan, and is only 20 years old. He began playing the guitar at a young age and gained popularity through Vine from 2013 to 2015. By 2016 he had released several singles. He draws inspiration from artists such as Michael Jackson, Prince and Drake.

“I want Cosmic to let people know I’m human, to let people know they have an artist they can tune into, and relate to and feel at home with,” Bazzi told Rap-Up. “People are so alone. I know how I feel and even right now, I hate feeling like I have nobody to connect to, nobody that feels the same way I do. It’s a super dark feeling. I know most people feel like that. We live in an age where vulnerability is wack and corny to say how we actually feel, and we build huge walls for our emotions, and that’s why everybody is so sad. I want to be the guy who says, ‘It’s okay to love somebody, hate somebody, feel alone, or feel sad. Come listen to me and relate those emotions to what I’m saying.’ I’m just here to inspire.”

Bazzi will be joining Camila Cabello on her “Never Be The Same Tour,” which is set to run through the spring, summer and fall.

In the midst of artists such as The Weeknd, SZA and Khalid releasing R&B hits that show some vulnerability and heart, Bazzi’s “Cosmic” fits right in.

Rating: 4/5

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.