Michael Che to perform at Spring Weekend comedy show

Tickets will be available starting Monday morning at the Jorgensen box office. They are free for students. (Screenshot via YouTube)

If you attended UConnic, you saw SUBOG’s big announcement after Khalid’s set: Michael Che, of Saturday Night Live’s “Weekend Update” fame, will be performing at the Spring Weekend Comedy Show.

“UConnic [had] thousands of students there, so we thought this [announcement video] would be another really fun, exciting way to get in front of the students,” Nick Bartos, the SUBOG comedy chair, said about their decision to announce their Spring Weekend comedy show at the UConnic Music Festival.

Michael Che has been co-hosting Weekend Update with Colin Jost on SNL since 2014. He started as a writer for Saturday Night Live in 2013. Che has been doing stand-up since 2009 and has also appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman and The Daily Show. Che also released a Netflix special in 2016 entitled “Michael Che Matters.”

The Spring Weekend Comedy Show has always been one of SUBOG’s largest comedy shows of the year. In the past, UConn has seen names like Bob Saget and Iliza Shlesinger. This year’s comedians were chosen from a student survey put out earlier in the year by SUBOG. Che was one of the top three choices voted on by students.

“We started with another survey,” Bartos said. “Our top three contenders were Colin Jost from SNL, Michael Che from SNL and Chris D’ Elia, who’s just a really talented stand-up comedian. Something [SUBOG] is really trying to do is get that student input. It’s really important to us because we are spending student money, so it’s important to us that we’re spending it appropriately and on what students want to see.”

“The Comedy Committee is always working so hard to put on these great events and make them successful. Between the student body participation and the committee that helps put these programs together, we create some really special events and shows for students,” Bartos said.

Tickets will be available starting Monday morning at the Jorgensen box office. They are free for students. Seats will be general admission, with floor and balcony available. Students will be able to pick up two tickets if they choose, one for themselves and one for another UConn student. Tickets for the Spring Weekend lecture will be available at the box office, as well. Doors will open for the comedy show at 9 p.m. Friday, April 20 at Jorgensen, following the outdoor food truck festival, and the show will start 10 p.m. The Spring Weekend lecture will occur the following Saturday.

“I think this show is going to give [the Saget show] a run for it’s money,” Bartos said. “I’d love to see a full house. I’d love to see students really enjoying themselves in the last few weeks before school gets out and just creating a great memory with their friends right before we leave.”

“Every year, Student Activities ramps up the Spring Weekend activities and events and this year is no exception,” Bartos said.

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.