Baseball: UConn dominates No. 20 Wichita St. in Friday’s doubleheader

UConn went to Kansas and came away with a series win against a top team (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies baseball team notched their second series win against a top-25 team this season as they swept the doubleheader against No. 20 Wichita St. Friday.

UConn (19-11-1, 5-4 AAC) freshman Colby Dunlop got the start in the first game of the doubleheader and did not disappoint. The right-hander tossed four shutout innings in the 7-4 win.

“It was good to finally stretch it out,” Dunlop said on the team’s website of going four innings. “I’ve been a starter my whole career. So, to finally get a start and go four innings – it was nice.”

Pitching wasn’t the only bright spot for the Huskies, as they racked up 10 hits. The big hit for the Huskies came from freshman Christian Fedko on a two-run double to extend the Huskies lead. Isaac Feldstein added to his homerun total with nine on the season.

Wichita St. (24-9, 4-5 AAC) struggled in the field with three errors. After Troy Stefanski reached on a Shockers error, Chris Winkel was able to knock him in to give the Huskies the 1-0 lead in the fifth and UConn never relinquished.

CJ Dandeneau was able to make his first appearance since Mar. 13, when the Huskies faced Coastal Carolina. The righty was able to toss a scoreless fifth inning.

Game two started off with a bang for the Huskies as they pounded the Shockers ace for five runs in the first inning. Catcher Zac Susi and Feldstein jumped on Liam Eddy, as they blasted back-to-back RBI doubles. Thad Phillips added an RBI single and Winkel knocked in two runners with a double.

Lefty Mason Feole added to his stellar season, going six innings while only surrendering two runs to an offense that has a .288 batting average. Feole was able to strikeout eight Shockers while walking three in the 9-4 victory.

Feldstein picked up right where he left off in game one, bashing homerun No. 10 on his season. Michael Woodworth had an RBI-double to go with two hits in the ball game.

“That was probably our most complete couple of games in a row that we’ve played all year,” UConn head coach Jim Penders said in a post on the team’s website. “I thought our guys gave us great at-bats.”

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.