Nathan Fuerst to serve as next vice president for enrollment planning and management

(Courtesy/UConn Admissions)

(Courtesy/UConn Admissions)

Nathan Fuerst, current University of Connecticut director of undergraduate admissions and assistant vice president for enrollment, will serve as the University’s next vice president for enrollment planning and management.

Fuerst was chosen following a national search, according to UConn Today. He will replace current vice president Wayne Locust, who is retiring this spring.

Fuerst said his responsibilities as VP for enrollment and management will expand on his role as director of undergraduate admissions and assistant vice president for enrollment.

“As AVP and director of admissions, my oversight included recruitment, marketing, admissions (and) scholarships for all entering undergraduate students at Storrs and the regional campuses. My former role also included oversight of Orientation and the Lodewick Visitors Center,” Fuerst said. “In addition to admissions, orientation and the Visitor’s Center, the VP for enrollment also provides leadership for Registrar (and) Financial Aid and chairs the Retention and Graduation Taskforce, which works to enhance support for students to graduate from UConn in a timely manner.”

As the next VP for enrollment planning and management, Fuerst said he and his team will work to find new ways to enhance UConn students’ retention and graduation rates.

“We continue to push to attract the best, brightest, most diverse classes to UConn as possible,” Fuerst said. “We have had great success in the past and will work for this to continue.”

Fuerst said he is also hoping to help UConn students graduate in a timely manner, saying his office’s ability to enhance the university’s enrollment programs in support of student  completion is what is most appealing about his new role.

“The most affordable college education for a student is one that is completed in four years, instead of five of six. Thankfully, UConn students perform at incredible rates already. Our average time to degree is 4.2 years, placing UConn in the top five of all public universities,” Fuerst said. “We will strive to make this even better.”

Fuerst has been director of undergraduate admissions and assistant vice president for enrollment since 2011 and said he finds working in university enrollment incredibly rewarding.

“We get to assist students in fulfilling their dream of getting a college degree and ultimately pursuing their passions in life,” Fuerst said. “As VP for enrollment, I get to be directly involved in the entire student lifestyle, from applying for admission to walking across the stage at commencement.”

UConn President Susan Herbst told UConn Today that Fuerst has distinguished himself at the university as a talented enrollment professional with a comprehensive understanding of his field.

“Those of us who have worked with him have found him to be open, responsive, data-driven, highly analytical and collaborative- qualities we seek in every colleague,” Herbst said. “This, combined with his outstanding record of accomplishment at UConn and his vision for the future, make him an ideal choice for this position.”

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.