Calista’s Cinema Conversations: Childhood films

Disney animated film “Mulan” is a childhood film classic. It can be found on Netflix. (Netflix/screenshot)

After watching “The Princess Diaries” with a group of friends a few nights ago, I decided to dedicate this week’s discussion to childhood films that are still great movies if you decide to watch them today.

The most iconic Disney Channel movie of all time “High School Musical,” this film spawned countless other  Disney Channel made-for-television films like “Camp Rock,” “Hannah Montana: The Movie” and “Princess Protection Program.”” Each of these films have a great and entertaining story that you can watch at any time of the year. They have fun casts with albeit cheesy dialogue and the occasional musical number. These films, since they were made to take certain time spots on television with commercial breaks, will be short but entertaining watches.

Films that are not Disney Channel but are from that genre of films are popular but slightly longer childhood films that are just as enjoyable for a reminiscent movie night. Some examples of these are the “Princess Diaries,” “Spy Kids,” “A Cinderella Story,” “Sky High” and my personal favorite “Teen Witch.”  These films follow a children’s movie plot (one that will always have a problem that is solved at the end), but each example has a unique way of executing this simplistic plot layout. There is not much depth or thought to the characters and the endings are always extremely predictable. Yet, the films are watchable for the way they can take someone down memory lane.

Disney animated films are always classics and a great choice. Movies like “Mulan,” “Cinderella,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “Aladdin” are the most notable because all of them are receiving or are already live-action adaptions. Watching the animated films and their live-action adaptations would be a great movie marathon. Other Disney films that are worth another watch are “Hercules,” “Emperor's New Groove,” the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series, “Mary Poppins,” “Tangled,” “Finding Nemo” and “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.”

Other nostalgic films that were not made by Disney are “Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie,” “The Princess Bride,” “Nanny McPhee” and “Race to Witch Mountain.” These films are considered children’s films, but also have a unique timeless quality to them. They are the kind of films for which you remember the feeling of watching the film more than the actual plot or characters.

Though I am sure there are more than a few gems I am missing, but most of the classic children’s films can be found on Netflix. There is a “Family Films” category where most of the films I listed plus so many more can be found. Now, with all that nostalgia coursing through your veins some childhood movie theatre candy would complement your movie night.

Calista Giroux is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at calista.giroux@gmail.com.