Editorial: It is up to us to keep track of pills

The UConn Infirmary (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus) 

A recent study at UConn health highlights the complication that accompanies taking (and regulating the consumption of) medication. Contrary to popular belief, doctors do not have as much control over prescriptions as it may seem. According to the study, “Doctors have the ability to send prescriptions via computer, but believe it or not, they can’t cancel a prescription electronically”. There are many instances in which healthcare professionals clash with pharmaceutical companies over the delivery of medication to patients. Consumers of healthcare and medication are dependent on both the medical care and pharmaceutical industries for healthcare. In order to prioritize the medical wellbeing of consumers, the interdependence of both industries must be followed by efficient and communicative cooperation that will benefit patients.

From a consumer’s perspective, there are precautions that should be taken to ensure a safe and organized consumption of medicine that correlates with the opinion of a medical professional. It is up to the patient to regulate his or her consumption of medication when there is a discrepancy between pharmaceutical and medical care industries. When industries clash they tend to prioritize the wellbeing of the representative institution rather than that of the consumer. Though this is incredibly unfair to patients, it should not hinder their medical health. Consumers can take measures such as systemizing their consumption of medicine, or constantly verifying their prescriptions with the medical professional who sent them to ensure the optimization of their health during a clash of two major medical institutions.

According to a study conducted at UConn Health, there should be a “strive for accountability and simplicity. We have to reduce complexity” . The major takeaway point of this study is patients’ need to self-regulate their consumption of medication rather than rely on medical institutions. Until legislative action is taken to regulate the codependence of medical industries, it is up to patients to take measures to organize consumption of medication.