Daddy’s having trouble coming: Daddy’s Noodle Shop postpones opening following stop work order

There is a stop work order at Daddy's Noodle Shop in Storrs Center.(Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Construction at Daddy’s Noodle Shop ceased early last month after town officials issued a stop work order to the Storrs Center business, according to owner Anh Duong.

Duong said the stop work order came as a result of electrical work that was being done without proper permits.

“We had the permits but [town officials] wouldn’t let me do the electric,” Duong said. “I talked to them a little bit and they saw it but they said no, don’t touch the electric. They want me to get a permit that would make everything okay so I could do the work.”

Duong said the work under question was related to previous problems with hood ventilation they were having earlier in the year.

“Right now we’re working with the hood system because the landlord, you know, won’t let me put the hood outside,” Duong said. “Because I want to protect all the students, I don’t want all the students or my employees to come inside the restaurant that smells.”

Duong said aside from the ventilation and electrical, 80 percent of the construction is completed. She said the issues should be ironed out soon and hopes to have the restaurant opened by June 15.

Second-semester psychology major Jason Poon said at one point he was excited for some new Asian fare on campus, but is now disillusioned by how long it’s taking to open.

“I was excited for the pho and was expecting it to be open by now,” Poon said. “I’m not really sure what to believe about the opening dates anymore. First it was January, then it was March, now it’s June. I’ll believe it when I see it.”   

The Mansfield Planning and Zoning Commission could not be reached for comment at the time of reporting.

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.