Melissa’s Menu: Berry Chocolate Mug Cake

(Via The Kitchen Enthusiast)

The semester is coming to an end and summer will be here before we know it, which means berry season is right around the corner. If you love picking berries or just want to take advantage of the fruit being in season, I have the perfect recipe for you. This week’s recipe is a berry chocolate mug cake. Not only does it make use of delicious blueberries, strawberries and raspberries, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. Nothing is more simple and delicious than a mug cake.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

3 tablespoons sugar

¼ teaspoon baking powder

3 tablespoons vegetable oil, or canola oil

¼ cup milk

3 tablespoons chocolate chips

whipped cream, to serve

blueberry, to serve

raspberry, to serve

strawberry, to serve

fresh mint, to serve

Directions

Spray the inside of a microwave-safe ceramic mug with cooking spray. Add in flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder. Mix until combined. Add the vegetable oil and milk and stir until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Microwave on high for one minute and 30 seconds.

Let cool completely.

Top with whipped cream, sprinkle on fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and mint.

A mug cake is the perfect dessert to make when it’s a lazy summer day and you want something sweet without all the effort of baking. No matter how inexperienced you are in the kitchen, you can definitely handle making a mug cake. This is also a perfect springtime and summer dessert because of the berries and hint of fresh mint. That combination along with the chocolate is so irresistible that you’ll be craving more. This mug cake is quick, easy and super yummy!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.