Timothy DeLaGhetto brings laughs and inspiration to UConn

A longtime YouTube celebrity and MTV2 improv show “Wild ‘N Out” cast member came to the Student Union theater Sunday to talk about his life, career and who and what he represents.  (Timothy DeLaGhetto Instagram/screenshot)

A longtime YouTube celebrity and MTV2 improv show “Wild ‘N Out” cast member came to the Student Union theater Sunday to talk about his life, career and who and what he represents. Preceded by three UConn dance troupes, Timothy DeLaGhetto (who told the packed crowd that his birth name is actually Tim) took just under an hour to talk, interlacing jokes and tidbits about his occupation and the fun he has living his wild life as a creator, including a lengthy question and answer session from the audience. DeLaGhetto made it clear that although it may look like he was living his dream, he wasn’t - he arrived as his destination.

“As long as I kept working, I would really progress,” DeLaGhetto chimed. “I’m not that talented, guys. It’s a lot of consistency - you just have to stick with it, and as long as you take little steps, even though it may not seem s*** is going the way you expect it to, it doesn’t mean you aren’t headed in the right direction.”

DeLaGhetto didn’t skirt away from discussing his race and what it meant to him. “We [the Asian community] gotta support each other; we need to support ourselves,” DeLaGhetto remarked. He later added, in response to counterparts throwing cheap Asian jokes at him on Wild ‘N Out, “I’m not really upset. Yes, it’s a little played, but at the same time - when I’m up there, I’m not just defending Tim, I’m defending my whole people.”

Suffice it to say, DeLaGhetto was a hit with the UConn crowd, even down to the opening acts. “Opening up for Timothy was amazing,” sixth-semester allied health major Vanessa Dessources said (who danced with her KCONN group). “I’ve been watching him for a really long time, so the fact that he even got to come here and they asked us to perform was surreal. I liked that he brought up Asian-specific topics, just because HAPA [Half Asian People's Association, a sponsor of the event] brought him, so a lot of those topics are relevant to the people who came here. This was a fun time!”

“When Tim was talking about [his show] ‘Wild ‘N Out’, he mentioned that when he says a joke or a line, he’s defending his race - not just himself,” Tien Nguyen, an eighth-semester psych major added. “Tim is one of the prominent faces of the Asian media community, and I’m really happy that he provides a positive image of Asian people that’s different than a normal Asian stereotype. Tim being Tim is helpful; it exposes Asian culture in a different way compared to the usual, like math and science.”

Daniel Cohn is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.cohn@uconn.edu.