A guide to surviving finals week

(Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Welcome to the end of April, the worst time to be a college student. The weather is finally getting warm and it is tempting to put off studying in favor of enjoying the sun. But unfortunately, studying for finals is a must. To make your week a little easier, here is a concrete guide on how to survive finals.

Basic Tips

1. Make a schedule! Write out all of your deadlines and the times of your finals on a calendar and then write out what you need to do each day. Having a list of everything reduces stress and makes it seem much more manageable.
  2. Opt for ice water rather than a caffeinated drink when you’re studying, especially if you need to stay up late. The lack of sugar and caffeine prevents you from crashing, and the chill of the drink will help keep you awake.
  3. All-nighters can actually make you perform worse on an exam. The added stress and the lack of sleep can make you more prone to forgetting information.
  4. Read over your notes before bed. Since your brain strengthens new memories while you sleep, this can help you remember things.
  5. Turn off your phone and put away your laptop unless you need it. It’s far too easy to get distracted by Snapchat or Instagram and accidentally waste the only time you have to study.
  6. Don’t study in bed!
  7. If you’re looking at your to-do list and there is something there that can be completed in less than fifteen minutes, do it immediately.
  8. Space everything out! Save the headache and start studying early so you don’t have to cram an entire semester’s worth of information into your head in one night.

Study Methods

1. List out everything you know: Put your notes away and grab a clean sheet of paper. Write out everything you can remember from the chapter(s) you’re studying and when you’re finished, compare it to your notes. This will give you a good idea of what you know and what information you need to study.
  2. Make it a story: If you need to remember the order of a process, make it into a story and have events in the story correspond with each detail you need to remember.
  3. Try swearing: I have no scientific basis for why this works, but filling definitions and explanations with swears makes them more fun and easier to remember.
  4. Teach someone else: Walking someone else through the information aloud forces you to recall everything from memory, and if the person you’re teaching is studying for the same exam you are, it helps them learn the information and gives them the ability to correct anything you get wrong.

Places to Study

1. The library
  2. Bookworms Café
  3. Wilbur Cross
  4. The Bookstore
  5. The Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks in Storrs Center
  6. Empty classrooms around campus
  7. The Student Union

Best of luck! And remember, once you get through next week, you have the whole summer ahead of you to relax and enjoy the warmth.

Courtney Gavitt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.