Leigh Fine joins Honors Program to promote leadership skills in students

Dr. Leigh Fine joins the Honors Program as Assistant Director for Honors Residential Communities and Programming. He will start his new position on April 27. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Leigh Fine, who was hired as interim assistant director for honors residential communities and programming in the Honors Programming and Events Office, said he plans to employ his experience in leadership, undergraduate education and residential life to promote well-rounded students.

“When they posted this position it was kind of an eerie coincidence,” Fine said.

Fine moved to Connecticut when his partner found a job at the University of Connecticut (UConn) and he began looking for a job as well.

After reading the requirements for the position, he said he knew he was more than qualified.

“They said ‘needs residence life experience,’ I have that, ‘working with honors students,’ I have that, ‘teaching undergraduate leadership,’ oh…I have that,” Fine said. “I was just in the right place at the right time.”

In the position, Fine said he plays a role in putting on events that build the honors community, linking students with alumni, bringing in speakers and instituting leadership opportunities.

“My piece of it is pretty much everything outside of the classroom,” Fine said. “That is why the job really appealed to me, giving honors students the tools in leadership and exercise that in their communities and make the world a better place.”

Before UConn, Fine was an assistant professor of leadership studies at Kansas State University for five years. He taught graduate and undergraduate curriculum in inclusive multicultural leadership and leadership ethics.

As an undergraduate, Fine earned a degree in chemistry from KSU and realized even though he was good at it, he did not enjoy the field

“I think that is something with honors students in particular [saying] ‘Oh I’m good at this,’ but do you like it? ‘Oh no,’” Fine said. “It’s about what you like, what you’re good at and what people will pay you for. Hopefully all three of those overlap.”

Although Fine’s job involves working with honors students, he said he is available to all members of the UConn community.

“Part of my job is to be here for all students as a resource and a friendly ear, so if anybody wants to talk about leadership or their experience at UConn, my office door is always open,” Fine said. “And I always have candy.”

Lillian Whittaker is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lillian.whittaker@uconn.edu.