New universal access trail brings Mansfield park-goers together

The Bicentennial Pond Universal Access Trail opened last Saturday at the Mansfield Schoolhouse Brook Park, a structure to ensure that people of all abilities can access the 455-acre nature site. (Curtis Perry/Creative Commons)

Accompanied with a ribbon cutting and nature walk, the Bicentennial Pond Universal Access Trail opened last Saturday at the Mansfield Schoolhouse Brook Park, a structure to ensure that people of all abilities can access the 455-acre nature site.

The 0.7-mile long trail features smooth walking surfaces and is now in part wheelchair accessible up to the codes of the U.S. National Park Service, according to a statement by the Town of Mansfield.

The addition came in response to the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, awarding seven million dollars to various statewide communities, Mansfield included, through the DEEP Recreational Trails program grant, according to CT Patch.

Preparations and designs for the trail started as early as 2013 with construction closing last fall, according to a statement by the Town of Mansfield.

The park features fishing piers and two outdoor classroom areas that will support the efforts of 2018’s Camp Mansfield, a program for young kids focused on providing a safe and educational summer experience, according to Mansfield Parks and Recreation Department. 

Locals voiced support for the accessibility brought to the space through the upgrades.

“I love walking my dogs in the park,” second-semester pre-teaching major Annabelle Dunbar said. “I think it’s important that we can all enjoy nature.”

In the coming months, the trail will host events for the town of Mansfield, such as the Spring Tag Sale Trail and more.

Collin Sitz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at collin.sitz@uconn.edu.