New on Netflix: What is coming and leaving in May

Finals are upon us, and there is no better way to put off your school work than with a Netflix binge session. Just before each month, Netflix releases a list of everything that will be coming to and leaving the streaming service next month. There are a lot of great movies and TV shows coming to Netflix in May, but be prepared to say goodbye to a couple of favorites in the beginning of the month.

Musical fans will be happy to hear that “Mamma Mia!” and “The Phantom of the Opera” will be released on May 14 and May 16, respectively. “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” will also be making its way to the streaming service, just in time for graduation.

May is also going to be a big month for Netflix originals. Some titles to look forward to are the second season of “Dear White People,” season three of “Bill Nye Saves the World” and the fourth season of “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” On May 1, John Mulaney’s long-awaited Netflix special “Kid Gorgeous Live at Radio City” will be available for streaming. Mulaney preformed “Kid Gorgeous” last semester at the Jorgenson, so even if you missed the live performance of his show, you will be able to stream it on Netflix.

Family friendly movies like “Coco,” “Hachi: A Dog’s Tale” and the cult classic “Shrek” will be added to Netflix throughout the month. TV shows like “Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V” and the fourth season of the Netflix Original “Inspector Gadget” are sure to keep families entertained throughout the month.

If you are more of a fan of action and adventure films, “Hellboy II: The Golden Army” and “The Bourne Ultimatum” are sure to make their way across your queue this month. Be sure to be on the lookout for the Netflix original film “Cargo,” which stars A-list actor Martin Freeman.

While there are a lot of great titles coming to the Netflix this month, there are also some shows that you will want to put on your watch list before the month ends. Most of the films and TV shows will be removed from Netflix on the first or the second, so make sure you get a chance to watch these films while you can.

On May 2, classic Disney Channel movies like “Cadet Kelly,” “Camp Rock,” “The Cheetah Girls,” “Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior” and the first and second installments of “High School Musical” will disappear from Netflix, so be sure to get your dose of nostalgia before then.

Comedy fans will definitely have mixed feelings this May. Even though classic comedies like “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” will find themselves on Netflix, the streaming service will be removing “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby” and “Bridget Jones’s Diary.”

Action films like “The Hurt Locker,” “Sahara,” “Ocean’s Eleven,” “GoodFellas” and “The Host” will also be removed from the streaming service.

A full list of everything coming and leaving Netflix next month is available here.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.