Huskies take on Bryant after dropping seven straight

The Huskies step up to the plate against Wichita State in their double header on Friday, Mar 31. The Huskies come up short, losing 4-3. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball will take on the visiting Bulldogs from Bryant University on Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m. in non-conference play. The Huskies (13-23) have lost their last seven straight, including their three game home opening series against Wichita State last week.

According to recent history, Tuesday’s matchup should prove favorable for the Huskies as they are 10-1 all-time against the Bulldogs which includes double-header sweeps in each of the past two seasons. This will be UConn’s fourth game at home this season after playing their first 33 games either on the road or at a neutral location.

Kiwi McDaniels has been a bright spot during this rough stretch for the Huskies. The sophomore was named to the AAC Honor Roll after a multi-hit game against Hofstra and a solid series against the Shockers, which included a late inning three-run shot in a comeback attempt in the series finale. McDaniels is now the fourth Husky to hit multiple home runs this season, but redshirt freshman Olivia Sappington still leads the team with five.

Jill Stockley remains the workhorse of the UConn pitching staff after eclipsing the 100-inning mark for her third consecutive season. After her complete game outing in the series finale with Wichita State, the junior is one of seven pitchers in the conference to reach this mark this season. She pitched 106 innings all of last season as a sophomore but needed just 36 games to do it this year.

Having won three of their last four games, including a double-header sweep of Hartford last weekend, the Bryant Bulldogs (7-18) look to ride their wave of momentum into Tuesday’s contest. Bryant is trying to turn their season around after a rough start to the year that included a 12-game losing streak and a 7-0 loss to No. 1 Washington. The Bulldogs have had success against the AAC, however, after beating UConn rival USF twice on the road.

Junior infielder Kaleigh Goulart leads a struggling Bulldogs offense with a .288 batting average and is first on the team in runs (13), hits (19) and RBI (13). As a team, Bryant is hitting just .224 on the season.

Bryant’s offensive woes have carried over to their pitching staff, which has a combined ERA of 6.49. Although sophomore Gabrielle Ermish leads the team with 49.1 innings pitched, all four of the Bulldogs’ starters carry ERAs of over 4.00. Freshman Sarah McKeveny has had some control issues thus far, with her team leading 33 strikeouts, but has also walked a team high of 50 batters.

Husky Vision will be live streaming Tuesday’s match up, so don’t worry if you can’t make it to the Burrill Family Field to catch the action in person.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.