Melissa’s Menu: Meal-prepped pesto chicken and veggies

This week on Melissa's Menu is a lesson in meal planning. (Photo courtesy of Tasty)

Meal prepping can be a great way to save time and ensure that you’re eating healthy and at a set portion. Cooking one large meal once a week and dividing it into separate meals that you can quickly heat up or take on the go can make life a lot easier, especially for busy college students. If you’re looking to try meal prepping for the first time or have simply run out of recipe ideas, I’ve got a tasty and easy option for you: pesto chicken and veggies.

Ingredients (for four servings):

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 boneless  skinless chicken thighs, sliced
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 lb green beans
  • 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
  • ½ cup basil pesto

Directions:

In a large pan, heat olive oil and add chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper. When the chicken is completely cooked through, remove from pan. Slice into strips and set aside.
Add green beans and cook until tender. Return the chicken strips to the pan, then add tomatoes and pesto. Stir until fully incorporated. Divide into four food storage containers and store in the refrigerator for up to four days.

This meal is perfect for someone who’s just beginning to cook or meal prep because it’s so easy. In just a few steps you have a meal that can last you up to four days! Not only is it really easy, but it’s delicious and healthy too. The pesto pairs so nicely with the green beans and tomatoes, and since chicken thighs are fattier than chicken breasts they are super tender and flavorful. The recipe also works really well with pasta if you would like to add a carb. Meal prepping may seem like a hassle at first, but in the end, you can save time and money and avoid wasting food. It doesn’t have to turn into a daily thing, but if you know you have a busy week coming up, this recipe could help take away the stress of making time to cook!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.