Lacrosse: UConn narrowly loses to Villanova

UConn Women's Lacrosse plays a tough game against Villanova in the rain Wednesday afternoon. (Nick Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn lacrosse team fell short of executing a tremendous comeback against Villanova on Wednesday, losing 13-12 to the Wildcats.

Seniors Grace Nolan and Kelsey Catalano each scored four goals apiece for the Huskies who had four different players score in the match. Catalano scored a game high five points by also adding an assist.

The Wildcats’ Katie Comerford added five points herself by scoring one goal and dishing out four helpers.

Villanova tallied their first Big East victory with the win and now stand 6-5 overall and 1-2 in conference play.

The Wildcats started the game off strong with a 3-0 scoring run giving them an early 4-1 lead. However, UConn (5-2, 1-3 Big East) pushed back with seniors Grace McDonald and Caitlin Leary also scoring goals to make the deficit just two points at the half.

In the second half, the Huskies scored three consecutive goals to tie the game at 7-7.

With ten minutes remaining, the Wildcats had a two-point advantage on UConn but Nolan and Catalano scored a pair of goals to tie the game at 12.

With 2:02 remaining in regulation Villanova’s Devin Hessinger scored the game winner.

For the Wildcats, Carlye Maita led the team with three goals off the bench.

After the game, Villanova’s head coach Julie Young described what her team needed in order to beat the Huskies.

"We came out strong in the beginning of the game but UConn started to create some momentum at the end of the half,” Young said. “We knew the second half was going to be a fight and that we needed both our attack and defensive unit to come up with big plays.”

UConn’s Cassie Ekstrom forced a game-high four turnovers and led all Huskies with six ground balls.

The Huskies play next on Saturday April 7 at Temple at 1 p.m.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.