PnB Rock and GoldLink added to UCONNIC lineup following Tory Lanez’s departure

Hip-hop artist PnB Rock and rapper GoldLink have been added to UCONNIC’s lineup following Tory Lanez’ departure. Both artists are set to perform before headliner Khalid.

A statement was released on Saturday by SUBOG explaining that Tory Lanez would be cancelling his performance due to a “personal family matter.” SUBOG concert chair Adam Sherif anticipated that people would be upset by the cancellation and immediately began looking for a replacement artist.

“We had to figure out who would be a good addition to the lineup,” Sherif said. The concert committee was looking for an artist that was both affordable and a good fit with the current lineup, which is a blend of R&B and hip-hop. They decided on booking two replacement artists instead of one to help compensate for the loss of Lanez. The committee also wanted a well-known artist with a similar sound to Lanez and an artist with a hit single that would be a crowd-pleaser.

PnB Rock polled at number two on the additional artists survey conducted by SUBOG, and Sherif felt that he had “similar styles and vibes” as Lanez. He is best known for his single “Selfish,” which peaked at number 51 on the US Billboard Hot 100. He was featured as one of the artists on XXL Magazine’s 2017 Top 10 Freshman list, a list of hip-hop artists to look out for.

GoldLink is best known for his Grammy-nominated song “Crew” with Brent Faiyaz and Shy Glizzy. “Crew” was released as the first single from his debut studio album, “At What Cost,” released in March 2017.

There are less than two weeks before the show, which made finding a replacement a difficult task.

“With only two weeks before the show there were not a lot of people available,” Sherif explained. “It’s hard to do things so last minute and we didn’t want to force anything. The fact that we were able to do this in four days astounds me.”

The concert committee is looking into possibly adding a third additional artist to the lineup, but it is still very up in the air.

SUBOG will be offering a buy-back program for students who no longer wish to attend UCONNIC due to the change in lineup. Students will be able to exchange their ticket for a full refund. “We don’t want tickets to go to waste and we also don’t want people to feel that their money is going to waste,” Sherif explained. The buy-back program is not available for students who purchased tickets during the presale.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.