Yankees fans, give Giancarlo Stanton a break

New York Yankees Giancarlo Stanton strikes out swinging in his first at-bat in the first inning of an opening day baseball game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium in New York, Tuesday, April 3, 2018. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

When the Yankees officially pulled off a trade for reigning MVP Giancarlo Stanton in early December, most baseball pundits called it a coup for the Yanks. After all they only had to trade second baseman Starlin Castro and two average-rated prospects (Jose Devers and Jorge Guzman). In all honesty, it still would have been a coup if they had traded star prospects Clint Frazier and/or Gleyber Torres.

After his horrid debut at Yankee Stadium Tuesday, which included not only five strikeouts, but also the boo birds from his own fans. This is the same Stanton that led the majors in homeruns (59) and RBIs (132) last season. Not to mention the fact that Stanton clobbered two dingers on opening day against the Blue Jays. It seems as though some Yankee fans have short memories.

Once the Yankees acquired the slugger, the only negative that could be discussed was his lengthy and wealthy contract. It is a pact that likely scared off many teams, including their cross-town rivals. Over the next 10 years, Stanton will rack up $295 million, with the Marlins paying $30 million of that contract. In 10 years, Stanton will be playing at age 38, which means he won’t be putting up the same production he is now (unless he is eating whatever Tom Brady is eating).

By taking on the slugger, this makes the Yankees the Evil Empire again and after all, baseball is a better place when everyone can rally around in their hatred for the Bronx Bombers. Their lineup is deep, powerful and crafty. With Judge and Stanton, it is reasonable to expect a combined 90-100 homeruns. But the beauty of their lineup is that if Judge and Stanton are struggling, other guys such as Didi Gregorious, Gary Sanchez and Brett Gardner can step up. Yankee fans should be salivating over a batting order that most fans, general managers and coaches can only dream of.

It is understandable for fans to have lofty expectations for a player that will be making nearly $30 million a season, but he needs some time to adjust to his new home. If he is hitting .200 with five homers in the middle of May, then fans would have a case to be upset, but he already has three as of April 4.

So Yankee fans, save the boo birds for when the Mets and Red Sox come to town, not when a generational talent on your own team is struggling. Just be thankful that you are not a fan of the Mets or the Miami Marlins.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.