Men’s Tennis to take on Bryant and BU

On Sunday, UConn will face a 9-9 Terriers team that has won two straight matches. The two teams have all played Siena, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Brown and Fordham. (Flickr Creative Commons/Dave Lowensohn)

The UConn men’s tennis team is looking to snap a two-match losing skid this weekend when they take on Bryant and Boston University.

UConn (4-11) is coming off a 4-1 loss at fellow American Athletic Conference member Temple in Philadelphia. Junior Jack McLister posted the single point for the Huskies with a win in straight sets at No. 3 singles.

The Huskies will travel to Fore Court in Cumberland, Rhode Island on Saturday to face Bryant before hosting BU at home for “Senior Day”.

The Huskies’ first opponent, Bryant, sits at 9-14 on the Spring season and recently broke a four-match losing streak with a win over Chattanooga on March 18. Each team has been defeated by both Army and Buffalo, although UConn was swept in each match while the Bulldogs lost 4-3 and 5-2 respectively. The Bulldogs have been led by Rhode Island native Matt Kuhar, who has won 15 of his last 17 matches at No. 1 singles.

On Sunday, UConn will face a 9-9 Terriers team that has won two straight matches. The two teams have all played Siena, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Brown and Fordham. The Huskies defeated Siena and Quinnipiac but lost to the other teams. BU defeated Siena, Fairfield and Fordham but lost to Quinnipiac and Brown. The Terriers will be in Connecticut all weekend as they are set to take on Yale on Saturday before traveling to Storrs the following day.

The lone senior that will be honored for the Huskies on Sunday is Jonathan Edwards from Isle Palms, South Carolina. The senior has featured in the line-up at No. 5 and No. 6 singles as well as No. 2 doubles and recently was key in the Huskies’ 4-3 win over Quinnipiac during Spring Break with a match-clinching three-set win.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.