Spotify’s Top 50: The good, the bad and the boring

Charts are one of the most concrete ways people measure an artist’s success. How many albums have they sold? How many streams have they accumulated? It’s a huge factor for a lot of award ceremonies and many songs end up on Spotify’s “Browse” page because of their popularity, which only leads to more popularity. I’ll be taking a look at this week’s Top 50 and rating the good, the bad and the boring (partially because I’m running out of ideas for the Artist Spotlight).

No. 1 “Call Out My Name” by The Weeknd

The Weeknd is enjoying success with his recent 6-track comeback release “My Dear Melancholy.” The singer has forgone the Daft Punk-assisted dance sound he went for on his previous album, “Starboy.” The entirety of “My Dear Melancholy” is dark, focusing on the singer’s sense of loss following heartbreak.

Twitter freaked out about this song in particular because many fans saw the lyric “I almost cut a piece of myself for your life” as The Weeknd’s confession that he tried to donate his kidney to ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez, who famously received a kidney transplant due to Lupus. Some people are also saying that the singer never considered donating his kidney and that the line was thrown in the song to drum up attention. If that’s the case, it worked. The Weeknd’s raking in over 2 million daily streams from this song alone. 4.5/5

No. 7 “Plug Walk” by Rich the Kid

“Plug Walk” was released in January but is enjoying a surge in popularity after the Atlanta rapper released his debut album “The World is Yours” on Friday. The beat is solid, no doubt danceable. Yet, the lyrics are predictable and there’s no grand message or revelation. Then again, that’s not what Rich the Kid is out to do. “Plug Walk” is a solid addition to any party playlist. 3.5/5

No. 10 “Love Lies” By Khalid feat. Normani

“Love Lies” is a pop/R&B hybrid from R&B youngster Khalid and Fifth Harmony’s Normani. While the girl group is on hiatus, expect to see them branching out to other styles of music. This is Normani’s first song away from the girl group and it shows a toned-down side of her compared to the wall of vocal power and harmony (pun intended) of Fifth Harmony. The song is a bit of a cliché male-female duet, but it serves as an introduction to Normani the solo artist and puts another solid pop song on Khalid’s resume. 3/5

No. 14 “The Middle” by Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey

“The Middle” is unbelievably catchy. It is sugary, poppy goodness complemented by Zedd’s beats. It sacrifices innovativeness for catchiness, but I’m not exactly mad about it. This song will be stuck in my head all day. 4/5

No. 21 “Delicate” by Taylor Swift

Disclaimer: I have never, throughout all of her eras, called myself a Taylor Swift fan. Swift is still churning out pop hits and enjoying their success, despite catching flak for her new sound on “Reputation.” This song, however, does nothing for me. There is no build or crescendo or reward for listening. Swift’s voice sings in the same breathy, almost monotone voice the entire song and there are virtually no chord shifts. I’d say it plateaus, but there’s no climb for it plateau from. 1/5

No. 22 “King’s Dead” by Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, Future and James Blake

One of the most aggressive songs on the “Black Panther” soundtrack, “King’s Dead” features a strong backbeat and the solid delivery and flow of Lamar, Rock and Future (minus that “la-di-da-di-da” part). The “Black Panther” soundtrack as a whole contains serious rap and hip-hop tracks that will no doubt stand the test of time. 5/5

No. 28 “In My Blood” by Shawn Mendes

Mendes has a truly good voice. It shines in the chorus of this song, but that’s the only attention-grabbing part, and it fades pretty quickly after you listen. Mendes songs are usually fun to listen to the first five times until you realize there’s very little to find beneath the surface. “In My Blood” is an Ed Sheeran-territory song that feels even less catchy than hits like “Stiches” or “Treat You Better.” 2/5

No. 32 “Everyday” by Logic and Marshmello

From the perspective of a Logic fan, Marshmello outshines him on this song. Logic has great flow and is a compelling storyteller, but none of that shines through. Marshmello’s production is what makes the song exciting 3/5

Schae Beaudoin is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.