Cardi B’s ‘Invasion of Privacy’ shows 2 different sides to artist

In this March 11, 2018, file photo, Singer Cardi B accepts the Best New Artist award during the 2018 iHeartRadio Music Awards at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif. Cardi B has revealed during a "Saturday Night Live" performance she's pregnant. Cardi B's debut album was released Friday, April 6. "Invasion of Privacy" is set for a No. 1 Billboard debut. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)

Cardi B released the highly anticipated “Invasion of Privacy” on April 6, an album that is full of Cardi’s signature trap beats and aggressive lyrics, while also showing a softer side to the rapper.

The album opens with the track “Get Up 10,” which begins as a cinematic opener in a similar confessional style to Gucci Mane’s “Work in Progress (Intro)” off of his “Mr. Davis” album. This is one of the more personal songs on the album, as Cardi raps about her past and her path to fame. The track then transitions into a classic Cardi trap beat as she calls out her haters in her lyrics, a recurring theme of the album.

The next track on the album is “Drip,” featuring Migos. While “Drip” doesn’t necessarily have the deepest and most original lyrical content, it is most certainly going to be a mainstream hit with the catchy hook, hard beat and great Migos feature.

Other notable songs from the album that feature Cardi’s classic beats, aggressive delivery and the themes of money, trapping and stunting on her haters are “I Like It,” Money Bag” and “Bickenhead.” “I Like It” has a Spanish-inspired beat and samples Pete Rodriguez’s classic 1967 song “I Like It Like That.” “I Like It” features Bad Bunny and J Balvin, who are Puerto Rican and Colombian reggaeton singers, respectively. The track shows a new sound from Cardi without getting rid of her signature style.

“Money Bag” is the track on the album that is most similar to “Bodak Yellow” and “Bartier Cardi,” Cardi’s biggest singles off “Invasion of Privacy.” All three songs feature pulsing trap beats and lyrics that portray Cardi’s signature self-confidence. “Bickenhead” is in a similar style but falls short of the impressiveness of the other three tracks; in a way, it feels like a throwaway song.

While aggression and self-confidence have become staples of Cardi’s music, in “Invasion of Privacy” she also shows off a more fragile, meeker side. This is most strongly shown in the track “Be Careful,” which was released as a single on March 31. This song, which is about infidelity in a relationship, presents Cardi in a much more timid light, which can be seen most clearly in the chorus of the song: “Be careful with me/ Yeah, my heart is like a package with a fragile label on it/ Be careful with me.” The track itself has a more R&B-inspired beat and Cardi sings the chorus rather than raps.

Other songs on the album that are in a similar style to “Be Careful” are “Ring (feat. Kehlani)” and “Thru Your Phone.” Both of these tracks are also about infidelity in relationships and feature much softer, slower beats. While it’s interesting to see Cardi attempting to create more depth in her music, the disconnect between the self-assured and confident Cardi of “Bodak Yellow” and the meeker Cardi of these songs is too much; it seems as though these two types of songs should be coming from two completely different artists.

There are many features on “Invasion of Privacy.” Two of them include the songs “Best Life (feat. Chance The Rapper)” and “She Bad (feat. YG).” However, neither of these songs are extremely impressive. Chance has a great feature on “Best Life” but other than that the song seems like a throwaway, and the same goes for “She Bad.” The YG feature is too long and the song doesn’t hold one’s attention.

However, the album ends on a strong note with the empowering song “I Do (feat. SZA).” The SZA feature on this song is incredible and the pairing is both cohesive and unique.

Overall, “Invasion of Privacy” meets its overwhelming anticipation. While at times the album doesn’t feel cohesive and a few of the songs seem unnecessary, there are also a great number of classic Cardi bangers that are sure to be party anthems.

Rating: 4/5

Lucie Turkel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucie.turkel@uconn.edu.