CT Senate passes bill aiming to elect president based on national popular vote

A completed plan for marijuana regulation will be due Oct. 1 before the bill is sent to the General Assembly. (Courtesy/Wikimedia Commons)

The Connecticut Senate passed a bill over the weekend that seeks to allot the state’s electoral votes to the candidate who receives the majority of the national popular vote in future presidential elections.

An Act Adopting the Interstate Compact to Elect the President of the United States by National Popular Vote would include Connecticut in a group of 10 other states that would grant their electoral votes to the presidential candidate who receives the largest total of the national popular vote, bucking the current electoral college system. Under current statute, Connecticut’s electoral votes go to the candidate who receives the largest total of the state’s popular vote.

The bill passed through the Senate with a vote of 21-14 after moving through the House of Representatives last week. It is now set to reach Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy’s desk where the bill is expected to be signed into law, according to the CT Mirror.

Even if signed, the bill would not go into effect until “states cumulatively possessing a majority of the electoral votes have enacted this agreement.” Of the 270 electoral votes that constitute a majority, the agreement currently has 172 electoral votes, according to the CT Mirror.\

Secretary of the State of Connecticut Denise Merrill, the state’s top election official, said this reform will bolster American democracy and will create a more fair system for electing the President.

"National Popular Vote is a common-sense reform that will ensure that the President of the United States is elected the same way every other office in the country is - the candidate with the most votes should win the election,” Merrill said in a press release Saturday. “Today's vote is a victory for making sure that every Connecticut voter's voice is heard."

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.