Football: The Huskies will no longer have a Spring Game

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn football team has made some adjustments to their spring practice schedule. The Huskies have ditched their annual Spring Game in an effort to enhance the athlete’s off-season experience. The team will host a youth clinic and a fan appreciation function in the Mark R. Shenkman Training Center.

“We really appreciate the support we have had for our spring games over the years, but due to the change in the recruiting calendar for football and to allow our student-athletes to have a better overall experience in the off-season,” UConn head coach Randy Edsall said in a press release. “We will be holding our spring practice in February and early March.”

The Huskies will begin their 2019 spring practice on Feb. 12, while the 15th and final practice of spring is scheduled for Friday, Mar. 15.  This past season, spring practice ran from Mar. 5 – Apr. 14.   

Edsall said the change in schedule will prepare the team for the regular season.

“This will allow our players more time to recover from injuries and also gets our summer lifting and conditioning program implemented earlier.  We look forward to having our youth clinic/fan fest in April and feel this event will offer a better opportunity to engage with our fan base on a more personal level.”

The team will have early signing day Dec. 19 and national signing day is Feb. 6. The team expects to host an event near signing day, which will give the signee’s the ability to meet with the UConn fan base. There will also be a chance for fans to meet with Edsall and the coaching staff.

This past year, the Huskies drew a crowd of about 2,000 fans to Rentschler Field for the free scrimmage.

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.