Editorial: Good luck to all our seniors!

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

Dear Seniors,

Congratulations! After four, five, six, or however many years you have spent at the university you are finally done. You have studied hard (hopefully), partied hard, made lifelong connections, avoided crossing the seal on Fairfield Way (or else you wouldn’t be graduating), and become masters (or should we say bachelors?) of your chosen trade. And now you leave our beloved and construction-laden campus to go out into the world and live your lives. It’s a cause for many things; celebration, reflection, and anticipation to name a few. And before you go, we wish to give you a few pieces of advice as you depart for the “real world.”

First, never fail to grow and develop from your experiences. To paraphrase Santayana, “Those who do not learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.” When you think back on your time at UConn, think about what worked well for you as well as what did not. What was the most effective method you developed for budgeting your time? What types of events or projects did you find the most fulfilling? Did eating Grab and Go for two straight weeks because you wanted to burn your flex passes facilitate a healthy lifestyle? Understanding your college experiences can help you understand yourself better and provide a useful model to follow in certain aspects of your life.

We also advise that you pursue interests that you are passionate about. This doesn’t necessarily have to mean your career (many of us know the things we may find most interesting are not necessarily conducive to financial well-being) but you should find always find time for the people and activities that bring you joy. Don’t be the person who looks back on their life and regrets the things they did not do, be the person who reflects fondly on the good times they had.

Finally, one of the best things you can do is just be a decent person. You don’t have to be a saint that devotes their life to a specific cause. But being kind to your fellow humans and treating others with respect is something that we all have the capacity to do. If you want to change the world it’s the simplest, and perhaps most effective, way to start.

So best of luck in your future endeavors, and may you make many good memories going forward!