UConn Football: Recapping the season and where they go from here

(Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

It was another disappointing season in East Hartford for Randy Edsall and the UConn football team.

The Huskies fought their way to a 3-9 record, going 2-6 in The American. It was the program’s third 3-9 finish in the last five years and the seventh-consecutive losing season.

It was not a particularly fun season, either.

Three of the nine losses saw UConn giving up 70 points to Memphis, 52 to Missouri and 49 to SMU. A missed field goal at the buzzer secured at 41-38 home loss to ECU and a missed extra-point with zero time remaining ended UConn’s season with a 22-21 loss to Cincinnati.

The Huskies’ three wins came home against Holy Cross (27-20), at Temple (28-24) and home against Tulsa (20-14).

It’s time to look to the future at Rentschler Field. According to 247Sports, UConn’s 2018 recruiting class ranks 104 nationally and 12 in the American Conference. Of the 24 recruits in the class, eleven are ranked three-star recruits and five are from Connecticut.

Defensive lineman Ryan Fines will be joining the Huskies next season. The graduate student from the University of Miami will have two years of eligibility following his graduation from Miami.

"Ryan is a thick guy, a strong guy, an effort guy, a run-through-the-wall, go-to-the-whistle guy,” Edsall said to reporters on Wednesday morning.  “He'll bring some leadership and maturity to that position."

UConn has also found themselves a new offensive coordinator since Rhett Lashlee’s departure for SMU. John Dunn will take over the reigns of the Huskies offense.

Edsall hired Dunn at the University of Maryland where they worked together for five years before both leaving for the NFL for separate opportunities. Before UConn, Dunn worked for the last two years as a member of the Chicago Bears staff. He served as the offensive quality control coach in 2016 and an offensive assistant in 2017.

Dunn is very excited about the opportunities for this UConn offense.

"We will be no-huddle. We'll be very multiple, be it formations, personnel groupings or looks. I kind of call it the illusion of sophistication, when different things look the same and same things look different," said Dunn when meeting with the press. "We will change the tempo of the game."

Dunn will have to do this without some of the staples of the UConn offense for the last few seasons, as many players have graduated or gone on to the next level.

The only UConn player selected in this year’s NFL Draft was defensive tackle Foley Fatukasi in the sixth round by the New York Jets.

Tight end Tommy Myers has reached an agreement with the New Orleans Saints. Defensive back Jamar Summers has signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers and linebacker Junior Joseph has received a contract from the Cincinnati Bengals.

A few Huskies will be getting minicamp inviations as well. Vontae Diggs has received an invite from the Washington Redskins, tight end Alec Bloom will be heading to Arizona for Cardinals’ minicamp, Luke Carrezola will be at minicamp for the Kansas City Cheifs and Cole Ormsby will be down in Atlanta for Falcons minicamp.

Interestingly enough, offensive lineman Trey Rutherford has turned down offers from NFL teams to focus on the Canadian Football League where he is projected to be a top-five draft pick.

Running back Arkeel Newsome has not received any offers at the time of writing.

No matter who will or won’t be on the field for the Huskies next year, it looks like it may be another long season at The Rent.

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets at @conn_donahue.