Men’s Basketball: Sal Alosi joins the Huskies as the Director of Human Performance

(Via Twitter: @UConnMBB)

(Via Twitter: @UConnMBB)

The Huskies basketball team announced Wednesday afternoon that Sal Alosi would join the team as new head coach Dan Hurley continues to add to his staff.

“I am very pleased to welcome Sal to our program at UConn,” Hurley said in a press release. “He has a proven history of success in the field of strength, conditioning and nutrition and I know he will foster the kind of culture and work ethic that will greatly benefit our players.”

Alosi’s name might ring a bell to New York Jets and Miami Dolphins fans after he tripped Nolan Carroll on a punt play from the sidelines in 2010. The former Jets strength coach apologized immediately after the incident.

Now with the Huskies after working for the UCLA Bruins football team for six years, Alosi said he is ready to get to work for UConn.

“We will build a 24-hour wellness program, where the time spent off the court and out of the weight room will be emphasized just as much as the time spent training,” Alosi said in a press release. “We will be educating our team about how to eat, how to sleep, how to hydrate, how to recover -- establishing a game plan in all areas that can have a positive impact when it comes to on-court performance. There is a much greater commitment than just running and lifting.”

Alosi is a graduate of Hofstra University where he began his career as an assistant strength and conditioning coach in 2001. The new Huskies Director of Human Performance has spent a total of nine years in the NFL, with the Atlanta Falcons and New York Jets.

This will be the first time that Alosi will work exclusively with a basketball team in his professional career.

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.