Baseball: Mason Feole named to Baseball America’s All-America third team

(Photo courtesy Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog)

Baseball America released their All-America team’s Thursday afternoon and the Huskies ace Mason Feole was named a third-team starter.

The lefty has the lowest ERA (2.50) among all pitchers on the team and ranks third in the entire conference. In 93.2 innings pitched, he struck out 114 batters. Feole has a 9-1 record this season with his lone loss coming against Cincinnati, when he pitched a complete game and allowed one run.

UConn head coach has praised the energy that he has brought to the team when he starts.

“(Feole) is really fun to watch on Friday nights,” Penders said in an interview posted on the team’s website after his outing against Cincinnati on Apr. 20. “He sets the tone so beautifully and cares so deeply about his teammates. He’s a lot of fun to watch.”

Feole got pay back against the Bearcats in the first game of the American Conference tournament, tossing seven innings and allowing only two runs while striking out 11 batters in the 6-2 win.

After Tim Cate, who started the season as the team’s ace, missed over a month due to forearm tightness, Feole stepped in seamlessly. Cate has been projected to be an early round draft pick, possessing the best curveball in the entire draft according to Baseball America. But the sophomore was able to make a name for himself and the rest of the league took notice.

"I think the way Feole stepped up this year was huge for UConn and I don't think they'd be where they are today without him doing it," Baseball America national writer Teddy Cahill said in a statement. "To have another guy to plug into the Friday night spot like that was really big and for him to be able to shoulder the load as a sophomore was telling. I think he's starting to position himself well for next year's draft."

Feole was also invited to join the USA College National Team where Cate has pitched in each of the past two seasons.

The Huskies will be back in action Friday at noon as they take on Washington in the NCAA Tournament at Springs Brooks Stadium in South Carolina.

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.