Baseball: Resilient Huskies look to finish season strong

(Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

This season hasn’t exactly gone to plan for the UConn baseball team. The Huskies have had eight cancellations or postponements due to weather, and of their 39 games played, only nine have come at home.

If Mother Nature wasn’t enough, the injury bug has hit even harder. The starting rotation has been decimated by injuries, including injuries to juniors Tim Cate and Chase Gardner. The rest of the team hasn’t fared much better, with key players like Zac Susi and Isaac Feldstein both going down as well.

Yet despite all the obstacles, UConn is absolutely rolling. The Huskies have the second-most road wins in the country at 19-11. Numerous players have stepped up in a big way to fill the injury vacancies. It all adds up to one of the strongest resumes in the country, and UConn currently sits at No. 19 in national rankings.

“Despite having some of their fellow soldiers fall, we keep marching and that has to be the mentality,” said head coach Jim Penders in a feature on the team’s website. “You hope that’s what you have in your dugout and these guys have proven a true resilience. I think it’s remarkable what these kids have accomplished.”

Troy Stefanski, Anthony Prato, and Susi are all hitting north of .300 on the season. Feldstein has slapped 12 homers, leading not only the team but the entire American Athletic Conference.

On the mound, Mason Feole has been stellar, racking up a 6-1 record and a 2.59 ERA in 11 starts. On the back end, P.J. Poulin has been as reliable as it gets, recording a conference-leading 11 saves.

The Huskies now head into the home stretch on fire, having won 10 of their last 15 games. With just 12 games remaining on the schedule before the conference tournament, UConn is primed to make some serious noise in the postseason.

Andrew Morrison is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24.