Baseball: Southpaw Tim Cate taken by Nationals in second round of MLB draft

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

Tim Cate finally got the call.

The 6-foot-1 lefty out of Cheney Tech in Manchester was taken 65th overall late Monday night in the second round of the MLB Draft, joining Nick Ahmed as the only other Husky to be drafted in the second round.

Cate has a history of injuries—he got Tommy John surgery in high school and was sidelined with forearm tightness for exactly 50 days this season. But the Nationals aren’t concerned about that; they care more about his 12-to-6 curveball, a pitch that MLB.com scouts have said “might [be] the best breaking ball in the entire Draft class” with impressive command.

His fastball tops out at around 95 and he still needs to develop a third pitch, but his changeup has the potential to become an effective tertiary pitch in his future.

During his time at UConn, Cate has consistently been at the front of the rotation, which is impressive when put next to previous first-round pick Anthony Kay and hurler Mason Feole. He pitched for USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team for the last two summers as a reliever.

“I’m excited for Tim to begin his path to the major leagues with a top-notch organization,” UConn coach Jim Penders told the Hartford Courant. “His potential is immense, and his impact on our program won’t be forgotten.”

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.