Baseball: Zac Susi, P.J. Poulin round out 2018 UConn draftees

P.J. Poulin fistbumps Zac Susi. Both were taken in the MLB Draft yesterday. (Photo courtesy Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog)

UConn baseball’s season may be over, but at least two more Huskies will be continuing their baseball careers in MLB farm systems as P.J. Poulin and Zac Susi were picked on the second day of the MLB draft.

Closer P.J. Poulin, fresh off his first start of the season on Sunday, was selected by the Colorado Rockies with the 336th pick of the draft in the 11th round.

Poulin joins another former UConn relief pitcher Scott Oberg in the Rockies’ organization, who has been called up and down from Colorado to their Albuquerque AAA affiliate several times since he was drafted in 2016.

Poulin holds the all-time UConn save record with 16, held a 3.39 ERA and a 4-1 record with the Huskies, and led the conference in saves and games finished with 27.

The lefty’s MLB appeal lies in his sidearm delivery and his nasty slider, and he will likely start his road to the major in Boise, with the single-A Hawks.

UConn catcher Zac Susi was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates just 18 picks after Poulin at pick number 354. The junior captain raised his game to a whole new level this season, bringing his batting average up from .286 to a team-high .323 and making the 2018 second-team All-AAC team.

Susi will likely join either of the Pirates’ single-A affiliates, the Bradenton Marauders or the West Virginia Power, later this summer.

Two top-ranked UConn prospects, catcher Patrick Winkel and right hander Michael Burrows will face tough decisions in the coming weeks, as they ponder whether to join Jim Penders’ squad or try their hands in an MLB farm system.

Burrows will be the more torn of the two, as he drafted by the Pirates higher than even Poulin, with the 324th pick in the 11th round. Winkel, the brother of UConn first baseman Chris Winkel is less likely to leave for the majors, only drafted in the 31st round by the New York Yankees.

Luke Swanson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.