Brown back to Storrs in personnel role

New UConn Basketball staffer Taliek Brown chops it up with Jim Calhoun at Calhoun's charity event at Mohegan Sun (John Woike/Hartford Courant)

A key figure in UConn basketball history is back in Storrs but in a very different role.

In a press release today, the UConn Men’s basketball program announced that Taliek Brown, a captain on the 2004 National Championship team, was joining new head coach Dan Hurley’s staff as Director of Player Development.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Taliek Brown back to UConn,” Hurley said in the statement. “Obviously, his history with the program speaks for itself, but when you add that to his professional basketball career and life experiences since he left college, plus his upbeat, outgoing personality, and strong work ethic, it makes him ideal for this position.”

Brown’s new duties will include assisting the team academic counselor with scheduling and monitoring study halls and tutoring sessions, directing community service actions, and managing alumni events. Brown is no stranger to supporting the Huskies.

As the starting point guard for four years under coach Jim Calhoun, Brown racked up 722 career assists, the most in program history. In his four years in Storrs, the Huskies captured two Big-East Tournament titles and three NCAA Tournament appearances before finally cutting down the nets in Brown’s senior season.  

“I am very excited that the next stage of my career will take place at UConn, where I have so many great memories,” Brown said in the statement.” Coach Hurley and his staff have a great vision for the program and I am lucky to become a part of it. I want to make sure the student-athletes have as good an experience at UConn as I had.”  

After leaving UConn, Brown embarked on a 10-year professional playing career, including stops in Canada, Venezuela, Turkey, Poland and Mexico. Brown has also spent time as a coach at LaGuardia Community College and as head coach at August Martin High School. The former Big-East all tournament selection also oversaw the Teamfootprintz Basketball Training Program that helped teach professional players and young adults both basketball and life skills.

The acquisition of Brown rounds out Hurley’s coaching staff. Brown joins a staff that includes Kenya Hunter, Tom Moore and Kimani Young as assistant coaches, director of basketball operations Eric Youncofski, director of scouting-video Tripp Doherty, director of human performance Sal Alosi, and athletic trainer James Doran.

Coach Hurley and his staff have a great vision for the program and I am lucky to become a part of it
— Taliek Brown, on returning to UConn