Huskies in NBA Summer League UPDATED through 7/13

Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Young, bottom, and Memphis Grizzlies forward Terry Larrier, top, (28) watch a loose ball during the first half of an NBA summer league basketball game Monday, July 2, 2018, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Five confirmed UConn alumni and recent members of the UConn men’s basketball program are suiting up for summer action in the NBA Summer League. Rodney Purvis and Amida Brimah, both seniors on the 2017-2017 Huskies team, will return to action for the second consecutive summer. Purvis and the Magic will play in the headlining Las Vegas Summer League while Brimah and the Spurs will play in the Utah Jazz and Las Vegas editions. Terry Larrier, a member of the most recent UConn team, will suit up for the Memphis Grizzlies in both the Utah Jazz and Las Vegas Summer Leagues. Daniel Hamilton, most recently a Husky in 2016-2016, played his second season with the Oklahoma City Thunder organization and first with the parent club, may be expected on their Las Vegas iteration but their roster has not been made official. Sam Cassell Jr., a Husky for three active seasons before moving to Iona after 2015-2016, is playing for the Washington Wizards.

Purvis played for the Utah Jazz last summer before signing with the Lakeland Magic, the G- League affiliate of the Orlando Magic. In Lakeland last year Purvis averaged 20.5 points per game while playing 38.1 minutes per game and starting 39 of 39 games. He was signed to a 10-day contract with the Orlando Magic on March 8th, a second 10-day contract on March 18th and for the rest of the season on March 28th. With the parent club he appeared in 16 games and scored 96 points. Last summer he only appeared in two games with Utah, playing 14.1 minutes total and scoring one point. He should feature more prominently for the Magic in Las Vegas.

7/6 vs Brooklyn: Purvis started and played 23 minutes but was held scoreless as he shot zero for seven from the field and nabbed three rebounds in a 6 point Magic win.

7/7 vs Memphis: Against Larrier Purvis played sparingly; five minutes off the bench and two rebounds only to show for it.

7/9 vs Phoenix: Purvis played 11 minutes off the bench and scored three points to go along with two steals.

7/13 vs Oklahoma City: Against Hamilton Purvis showed with 20 points on four three-pointers in 26 minutes. 

Brimah played for the Chicago Bulls last summer before playing for the Austin Spurs, the G-League affiliate of the San Antonio Spurs. In Austin he appeared in 48 games playing 22.6 minutes per game and averaging 6.6 points per game, 5.2 rebounds per game, and 2.6 blocks per game, which led the league. After the G-League season he signed with KK Partizan in Serbia, playing in 13 games and averaging 7.6 points per game and 1.2 blocks per game. Last summer he appeared in four games in Las Vegas, playing 9.7 minutes per game and averaging two points per game along with a block and a half per game.

7/2 vs Utah: Brimah started and posted a near double-double with nine points and nine rebounds along with three blocks in 21 minutes but the Spurs lost to the Jazz 96-72.

7/3 vs Atlanta: Another strong night for Brimah. Eight points, two blocks and 11 rebounds in 17 minutes off the bench as the Spurs beat the Hawks

7/5 vs Memphis: Against Larrier, Brimah played 10 minutes off the bench garnering one point, one rebound, one assist and one steal.

7/7 vs Indiana: Brimah played 10 minutes off the bench and went scoreless with an assist and a rebound.

7/8 vs Washington: Taking on the Wizards Brimah played only one minute but managed to pick up three fouls

7/10 vs Portland: Brimah put up nine points and nine rebounds along with two blocks and seven fouls in 16 minutes from a reserve role.

7/12 vs Utah: The Spurs lost but Brimah had a sterling six blocks, eight rebounds, and four points in his 23 minutes as a substitute.

7/13 vs Phoenix: Brimah started, played 17 minutes, and scored eight points along with grabbing three rebounds and two blocks.

Larrier went undrafted in the 2018 NBA Draft but agreed to a summer league spot with the Grizzlies shortly after.

7/2 vs Miami: Larrier started but played only 16 minutes. He finished with only two points on one for seven shooting and zero for three from distance. He also landed five rebounds and an assist.

7/3 vs Utah: Coming off the bench and playing seven minutes Larrier was only able to post a meager two points on one of three from the field

7/5 vs San Antonio: Against Brimah, Larrier played only three minutes but got to the free throw line and knocked down a pair for two points and missed a three-pointer.

7/7 vs Detroit: Larrier did not play in a close victory over the Pistons

7/8 vs Orlando: Like Purvis Larrier saw little action. He played two minutes and missed all three of his field goals.

7/10 vs Sacramento: Larrier did not play in a double-digit defeat to the Kings.

7/11 vs Chicago: With the playoffs starting, and numerous games under his belt, Larrier actually moved teams. Joining the Dallas Mavericks for the stretch run in Vegas, Larrier played nine minutes off the bench and hit a layup while missing a lone three-pointer.

7/13 vs Washington: Larrier played five minutes earning a rebound and assist while missing one field goal-a contested mid-range jump shot.

Hamilton was on a NBA two-way contract last year after spending the 2016-2017 season with the OKC Blue, the Thunder's G-League Affiliate. He only appeared in six NBA games in which he yielded 12 points, eight assists and five rebounds. Last year in 45 G-League appearances, he 16.1 points per game, along with nine rebounds per game and eight assists per game, a near triple-double. He started every game under Blue Head Coach Mark Daigneault, a former UConn student manager who also coached the Thunder in summer league last year. It has not been confirmed if Daigneault or Hamilton are returning.

It would be Hamilton's third summer league stint. In 2016 he played in five games scoring 5.8 points per game in only 16.6 minutes per game. Last year he played in four games in which he scored 11.8 points per game and averaged about seven assists and five rebounds in 31.1 minutes per game.

7/6 vs Charlotte: Hamilton is playing and Daigneault is coaching. Hamilton started for the Thunder and played 26 minutes, posting his typical near triple-double with 11 points 12 rebounds and eight assists but only one of five from deep.

7/7 vs Brooklyn: Hamilton started, played 25 minutes and put up 12 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.

7/9 vs Toronto: Five was the magic number as Hamilton had five points, rebounds, and assists in a Thunder victory.

7/12 vs Memphis: 28 minutes for Hamilton. Seven points, eight assists, and 11 rebounds.

7/13 vs Orlando: Hamilton only played 22 minutes in a starting role but only netted five points, five assists, and three rebounds. 

Former Husky Sam Cassell Jr., who left UConn after the 2015-2016 season as a graduate transfer at Iona, is playing in summer league for the Washington Wizards. He played in summer league for the Cleveland Cavaliers last year. He appeared in five games, played 15.4 minutes per game and averaged 6.6 points per game in that span. Last season he played for Halcones Ciudad Obregon in Mexico. 

7/6 vs Cleveland: Cassell played five minutes and had two steals but the Wizards were blown out

7/7 vs San Antonio: Against his former teammate Brimah Cassell Jr. did not see the floor.

7/9 vs Philadelphia: It was a second consecutive DNP-Coach's decision for Cassell Jr.

7/11 vs Los Angeles: In their playoff opener Cassell Jr. played seven minutes in a 14 point loss. He went two-of-five from the field and scored five points, swiped two steals, and was a plus 12.

7/13 vs Dallas: In three minutes Cassell missed two shots and was a plus-minus -13 in the Wizards' consolation game

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.