Adrianne Swinney named next Chief Operating Officer for UConn Athletics

(UNCW Atheltics)

The UConn Huskies tabbed Adrianne Swinney to become the Chief Operating Officer in the athletic department, replacing Beth Goetz, who became the Athletic Director at Ball State in May. Swinney was in her third year as the Deputy Athletics Director at UNC Wilmington before making the move to Storrs.

As COO, Swinney will carry the designation of Senior Woman Administrator within the Athletics Department. Among her responsibilities, Swinney will oversee several aspects in the department, including equipment services, sports medicine, sports performance, athletic training, and will serve as the department liaison for admissions, Title IX & Gender Equity and OIE/Community Standards. 

“I’d like to extend my sincerest gratitude to [Athletic Director] David Benedict and President Susan Herbst for this opportunity,” Swinney said in a press release. “I count it both a privilege and an honor to become a member of the UConn family and community, joining a nationally distinguished institution synonymous with excellence in every way.”

At UNC Wilmington, Swinney was a primary administrator for 16 of 19 programs including women’s basketball, men’s soccer, volleyball and baseball. During her tenure, she served as an events and game management administrator for football and the men’s and women’s basketball programs.

Benedict said that he welcomes her aptitude to the program.

“I am thrilled that Adrianne (Swinney) is joining our team at UConn,” Benedict said in a press release.  “Her experience and talent as an administrator will be of great benefit to our student-athletes and coaches.”

I count it both a privilege and an honor to become a member of the UConn family and community, joining a nationally distinguished institution synonymous with excellence in every way
— new UConn Athletics COO Adrianne Swinney

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.