How to survive freshman year

Find your club! But don't get overwhelmed. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

Freshman year is an exciting time. It’s your first time being on campus and there’s a lot of mixed emotions. You’re feeling excited, ready, anxious, nervous and apprehensive. Possibly even exhausted or unenthused. No matter what is going on in your head freshmen year, everyone can agree on one thing: You’re all here and going to try your best to survive.

Here are some tips to help out with that:

1. Set multiple alarms

This goes out to everyone, but especially those brave enough to take 8 a.m. classes. Everyone  has slept through an alarm before but it’s important not to make a habit of this freshman year. Make sure your phone or alarm clock volume is on, first of all. Secondly, make sure that the time you set is a.m. not p.m.. Thirdly, set alarms early and five minutes apart. Give yourself at least 45 minutes: 30 to get ready and 15 to walk to class.

2. Write everything down

Your teacher says a due date? Write it down. You scheduled a meeting? Write it down. You have your work schedule? Write it down. Whether you type it as reminders on your phone, in your planner or on sticky notes that you leave on your folders and desks, I cannot stress it enough. Write everything down. Your future self will thank you because with a hefty workload and busy schedule, it becomes more than easy to forget things.

3. Time management: A real friend

As soon as you sign up for classes, time management becomes your best friend. It will keep you from losing your mind and going crazy. Manage your study time, work time and even down-time. When you have the hours of the day in order, your mind follows.

4. Don’t get caught up in clubs

When you hit campus, there will be a ton of different clubs to choose from. You’ll meet people who are involved in five and still manage to take 17 credits and work a job. Do not, I repeat, do not feel peer pressured into putting too many things on your plate. Less is more.

5. It’s okay not to party

No matter what school you attend, there will always be different events going on just about every week. A lot of people you know might continuously go, but don’t let that make you feel like an outcast. If you’re not a party person, then that’s okay! And if you are, party responsibly.

6. Stay true to yourself and the right opportunities and people will come around

Fitting in might seem more appealing than being yourself, but trust me, it will not benefit you in any way. This doesn’t just go for socializing; but interviewing, networking and more. Your greatest power is staying true to who you are. There are opportunities that only you can unlock so don’t miss out by losing yourself. If there’s any time to find and create yourself, it’s college. Let these years be some of the best in your life.

Gabrielle Ferrell is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at gabrielle.ferrell@uconn.edu.