A breakdown of UConn’s best study spots

Students studying at the Union. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Welcome to college! Wash your laundry on cold, change your bed sheets regularly and most importantly: don’t forget to study.

Your dorm might seem like an obvious place to work, but it can be distracting. You’re surrounded by your electronics, dorm mates and the biggest culprit of all: Your bed. Leaving your room can help increase productivity, and lucky for you, this campus is huge. So here’s a breakdown of UConn’s best study locations to start your year off strong.

The library: The primary study spot for students is the library. Each floor has a different noise level, ranging from group conversation to silent study. There are study rooms available for reservation on the library’s website. No matter how you prefer to study, there’s a place at the library for you. But if you aren’t feeling the library, there are plenty of alternatives around campus.

Your dorm building: Every dorm building has at least one common area for studying. You can plop yourself down on a couch or at one of the tables, throw in a pair of headphones and knock out the bulk of your classwork.

The School of Business building: The School of Business building, located across from Gampel and the Union, is full of study rooms. They’re the perfect size to study alone or to gather with a group of study buddies.

The cafes: UConn has several cafes spread across campus, from the Beanery to the Chem Cafe to Up & Atom. Their locations are listed online and are perfect for grabbing a coffee and burying yourself in a textbook. Bookworms, located in the library, has a study area open 24 hours, for all those times you need some last minute cramming for an 8 a.m. exam.

The Union: The Union has a variety of rooms with study areas, as well as places to grab food. There’s no shortage of tables and no shortage of ways to recharge yourself for your studies.

The Bookstore: The UConn Bookstore has a sitting area next to Starbucks, as well as a study area with tables located upstairs. It’s perfect for grabbing yourself an overpriced coffee and getting to work.

Outside: UConn is beautiful, especially when the weather is nice. Enjoy it while you can, because campus gets cold quick. Grab a blanket and lay out by Mirror Lake or on the lawn near the Student Union. Bring along a friend and get to work!

Empty classrooms: Empty classrooms can be amazing for studying. You can use the projector to show your professor’s PowerPoints and write out your work on the whiteboards. It’s a great way to immerse yourself in a school environment and kick yourself into a productive mood, especially since an empty classroom means it’s empty of distractions.

Look around: Most buildings around campus have study areas or lounge areas with tables and chairs. Look around and find one you like! There’s quiet, hidden places everywhere. Find one and make it your own.

Your freshman year holds tons of opportunities to meet new people, join clubs and figure out who you are without the influence of your parents. It doesn’t matter where you end up studying, so long as you remember to do it. Best of luck!

Courtney Gavitt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.