Editorial: Welcome to UConn

Welcome to UConn! (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The Daily Campus Editorial Staff cordially welcomes the incoming class of 2022! We look forward to bringing you (mostly) interesting and insightful content from the many talented writers on our staff, and engaging you on the important topics of today. From science to politics we discuss a wide range of topics in the Opinion section.

But first, a few cool things about the Daily Campus. We are the University of Connecticut’s student-run newspaper, and this is our 128th year of existence. The Daily Campus is the most widely circulated college newspaper in Connecticut, and near the top of the list in New England. Each paper produced is the result of hours of work on the part of the numerous members of the Daily Campus staff, some of the best people you’ll ever have the pleasure to work with.

The paper has several sections. Our News section faithfully reports on events happening on campus while occasionally touching on more national issues. You can probably guess what Sports covers; but it may surprise you to know we in fact do have other teams besides basketball and they’ll tell you all about them. The Life section discusses movies, television, music, and a host of other interesting topics (like cool drink ideas). And, of course, we here in the Opinion section postulate on the most important (and some less important) issues of our day. Every section brings unique and important contributions to the paper.

It takes a committed and talented team on multiple levels to bring about the content you are just now familiarizing yourself with. From writers to photographers to copy editors, everyone plays a crucial role in the development of the Daily Campus. As such, it is a great opportunity for freshman such as yourselves to get involved in something pretty special on campus. The staff covers such a wide range of topics that it is almost guaranteed you will be able to write about and discuss topics of interest to you. You don’t have to be an English or Journalism major, plenty of our members come from STEM fields and others that don’t traditionally indicate an affinity for writing.

The Daily Campus Editorial Staff would like to invite anyone who is interested to get involved with an incredible and historic institution that is a testament to the dedication of UConn student journalists past, present, and future. No matter what position you choose at the paper, it is our opinion that you will find it fulfilling.