Calista’s Cinema Conversations: School movies for back to school

As we head into the new school year there are many things to be excited about. In order to get you in the back-on-campus mindset, here are some school-related movies.

First, the classic coming-of-age movies such as ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.” This is a fun film to watch because of its overall joyous and carefree nature, drawing on some iconic life’s-too-short inspiration.

Two films following the theme of lightheartedness are “Mean Girls” and “Clueless,” which focus on a popular girl and her struggles with friendship and romance.

Friendship and romance are shown in a more serious manner in the hit movie “Perks of Being a Wallflower,” where a “nobody” highschooler is given a new view of a few of his schoolmates after a series of traumatic events.

A new comedy called “Life of the Party” shows an inaccurate but funny scenario in which a mother goes back to college only to hang out with her daughter. Another fairly recent comedy is “The DUFF,” a film which attempts to express that beauty is within, while pointing out the protagonists flaws in a rather crude way.

On the topic of comedies, the dark comedy “Heathers” is a film that takes a satirical look at what it means to fit in. This is a personal favorite of mine as it has a little bit of everything for movie fans of all genres.

The extremely popular “Pitch Perfect” is a great movie to pop some popcorn and sing along to, and the second film in the “Pitch Perfect” series is not that bad, either.

Then, if you’re still in the mood for a movie night,  “The Breakfast Club” is a great movie to follow up with, since the film was mentioned multiple times in the a capella classic. The romantic comedy “10 Things I Hate About You” is always a good choice for a movie night, as well.

If you wish to go the more negative route for back-to-school, there are some great horror movies out there for you. “Carrie” is probably the most popular of these, the original as well as the remake. Although it’s based in a high school setting, it shows the worst case scenario of someone trying to fit in.

A more recent horror flick, “Happy Death Day,” takes place in high school. Though I personally have not seen it yet, it comes highly recommended to me. Though the film does not focus on school, “Nightmare of Elm Street” does look at a group of high school students as they struggle not to fall asleep.

An underrated horror movie that takes place on a college campus is “Urban Legend,” which shines a light on some popular scary stories that have been passed on through the years.

There are many more back-to-school films that I have probably left out; this does not make them any better or worse than the ones I mentioned. Every film should be complemented by some popcorn and friends as we start off the school year.

Calista Giroux is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at calista.giroux@gmail.com.