Melissa’s Menu: 3 easy back-to-school meals

(Photos courtesy of tasty.co)

(Photos courtesy of tasty.co)

Now that everyone’s back on campus and fending for themselves, the thought of having to cook your own meals can be really intimidating. Even if you have a meal plan, there might be times where you want to make your own food but don’t know how to go about cooking in a dorm room. That’s why I’ve got three delicious meals that are super easy (and dorm-friendly) to ease you into the semester. All you need is a microwave!

5-Minute Mac n’ Cheese

Ingredients

½ cup elbow macaroni
½ cup of water
3 tablespoons of milk
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

Mix together the macaroni, water and salt in a microwaveable mug. Microwave for two to three minutes, then stir. Add the milk, cheese, salt and pepper, then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir.

food 2.png

4-minute Chicken Quesadilla

Ingredients

2 medium flour tortillas
½ cup shredded chicken, cooked
½ bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon of taco seasoning
¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

Microwave the tortillas on a plate until slightly crispy (they will dry out a bit as they cool).
Mix the chicken, peppers and taco seasoning in a bowl until evenly combined, then cook for about one to two minutes until the peppers are soft. Spread the mixture evenly on one tortilla, cover evenly with the cheese and then top with the other tortilla. Cook for another 30 seconds to one minute, slice, then serve.

food 3.png

4-Minute BBQ Nachos

Ingredients

1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce
2 large handfuls of tortilla chips
¼ cup of pico de gallo
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup of green onion, thinly sliced
guacamole, to serve
sour cream, to serve

Directions

Mix the chicken with the barbecue sauce, then spread evenly over a bed of tortilla chips. Spread the pico de gallo, cheese and green onions evenly on top, then microwave for about one to minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Dollop with some guacamole and sour cream, then serve.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.