Semester goals roundtable

The beginning of the school year is a time to set goals for yourself. Campus correspondent, Daniel Cohn, hopes to study abroad in Prague this Spring. (Roman Boed/Flickr Creative Commons)

Alexis Taylor, Staff Writer

Out with the old and in with the new… sort of. For me, this semester is all about creating space to try new things and to grow as a person, as corny as that sounds. Like many freshmen, I thought I knew what I wanted to do and what I wanted to major in, but after a few classes I realized that that was not the case. So I’m taking classes in new areas that I’m excited about, like journalism, women’s and gender studies and human rights, to try to figure out how to turn my passions into a some sort of a career. What that’s going to look like come December, who even knows, but I’m excited to figure it out.

Daniel Cohn, Campus Correspondent

One of my main goals for this semester that I plan to “Czech” off  is getting into my priority study abroad program in Prague for this spring! Studying abroad is something I’ve been looking forward to for quite a while, and now that I’m in my junior year, it’s imminent. Prague lands at the top of my list for a number of reasons. Firstly, Prague is a city. I love UConn so much, but we all know the closest thing we have to an urban center is Hartford. With all due respect to the former insurance capital of New England, I want to be in a metropolitan area during my semester overseas. As a political science major, I’m excited that the Czech Republic is rich with history. It’s only existed in its current form for 25 years since Czechoslovakia split when the Eastern Bloc dissolved. I’m meeting with an education abroad advisor this week to discuss my logistics for applying and I’m going to send in my application in early September. If you’re one of my three (if that) Daily Campus fans, don’t fret - I’ll still make an effort to write from Europe!

Courtney Gavitt, Campus Correspondent

When it comes to setting goals for the semester, it’s hard not to say something vague like “get better grades” or “actually go to my classes.” But, in general, that’s kind of my mood for this semester. Between my work schedule and my class schedule, I’m pretty much always busy. My goal is not to drown beneath the workload. More than anything, though, I’d like to stop coasting through my work and actually put in my best effort. School work has always been important to me, and I’m excited to find that balance again between prioritizing school and still living a sane, social life. Hopefully, publishing this in a newspaper will force me to actually maintain this mindset.

Melissa Scrivani, Associate Life Editor

I say this pretty much every year, but my main semester goal is to actually give myself time to relax and unwind. I tend to overextend myself and underestimate how much I have to do. Not only am I mostly in English classes that require a lot of reading and writing, but I’m involved in several clubs and organizations on campus that are also pretty time consuming. I often find myself putting school work and other commitments over sleep and self-care, which really isn’t good and adds a lot of stress to my life. This year I want to make sure I get at least seven hours of sleep a night and designate time each week to relax, whether it be using a face mask, watching something on Netflix or treating myself to a nice meal out with friends. This is a goal that I think a lot of college students can try to achieve, since so many of us put school before ourselves.